What's new

B&W owners (1 Viewer)

Aris A

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone who has a knowledge base about B&W speakers. I own a pair of DM602 and LCR60 for center channel. DM has 90db/LCR 88db. Would I be worried about matching them for HT since DM is way older than the LCR. Would you also recommend matching rear speakers. Thanks.

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. You really have to think about your requirements first. Is this system for movie-use only? The above answer might be correct in that case.

However, please think hard about whether you care about music reproduction. One of the unexpected side-effects of my HT obsesion is that I rediscovered my music collection. In fact, I probably use my system for music as much or more than for movies. If you fall into this category, then you should look at matching your rear speakers.

This may seem odd given that most music is 2-channel. But keep in mind that SACD, DVD-A, and Dual-Disc is still alive and much of it is multichannel. (Let's not get into the merits of stereo vs Mch here.) It is my opinion that Mch music demands matched speakers to really get everything out of them. Beyond hi-res, there is also Dolby Prologic II where 2-ch is effectively converted to 5.1. Again, this calls for matched speakers. Finally, keep in mind that Blu-Ray, HD-DVD are on their way. Both have hi-res music specs and may finally jump-start the hi-res music market.

So the answer to your question is 'depends'. If I were in your shoes, I'd go with matched speakers just to future-proof my system. There is nothing more frustrating than discovering that you chose poorly and dumped a significant sum on equipment that doesn't quite cut it.

FWIW, I have a matched set of B&W CDM floorstanders and the CDM-CNT center channel. Pure bliss for music and for movies!

David

Aris A

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot guys!
I will be using this for a 60/40 movies/music setup. I'm still shopping around for a pre/pro or receiver, a multi-amp, sub and the rear speakers (all used items for budget reasons). Yes, I would definitely look for a match rear spkrs. and I already emailed B&W thru their website but I don't know if they will find time to answer my inquiry, so my next move is to look for a local dealer and hope they can help me.

As far as the model series (S3), I'm sure the LCR60 is but not sure the DM602 is in that series.

Mark Dill

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't like this combo because the small center channel cannot match the output of the 602's. You really need the LCR600 in my opinion. I sold my center and am now running with just the 602's in "phantom" mode. Sounds a lot better to me this way.

Eventually I'll add an LCR600 when I have a bigger theater room, but for now I am happy with just the 602's and a phantom center.

Aris A

Stunt Coordinator

Finally, received this reply from tech support and I would like to share this info with anyone going this route. Thanks.

Bo-Cephus

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I believe the tweeter after the first series of DM 60X's is the Nautilus tweeter. To check the series on your 602's if there is no "s2" or "s3" following the "DM602" on the label on the back of the speaker you most likely have a series 1. I believe another way to tell is if there is a black metallic housing around the tweeter, it is likely the 602's are from the first series.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Used 100% for movies, since I have a seperate 2 channel system for music, I am running 3 LM1's in the rear to go along with my 602.5 S2 fronts and LCR600 S2 center....sounds wonderful!! But I would probably get better rear speakers if I was going to listen to multi channel music on this system!!

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I would also agree, better yet I thought the CDM-CNT actually matched better with the 602's. I used to have 602 s2 for fronts, had the smaller center and it sucked in my opinion, then I got a used CDM-CNT to replace the small center and it was WAY better. I also had a pair of LM-1's for rears which were ok, but were not my favorite. I have since upgraded all speakers to GR-Research kits I built myself, absolutely smokes the B&W's!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks