B&W owners or anyone that has auditioned them...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Lanni, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    Hi guys, I am making my foray into home theater. I have picked my speakers they are going to be:
    Fronts: dm602 s3
    Center: dm602 s3
    Surround: dm602 s3
    Sub: B-stock SVS 20-39PCi(ordered today..Yeah!!)
    What I am curious about is that you guys seem to know the intricacies of what tonality certain speakers have and what tonality receivers have. Of all the B&W owners here, which receivers are you running? Which do you think is going to give me the best sound overall? The receivers that I was looking at are:
    Marantz sr5200-7200
    Denon 2802-3802
    Harmon Kardon avr 520
    I suppose that I don't have to go with one of the above, they are just the ones that I am familiar with. My budget for a receiver is around the 700 mark. My listening tastes are, 80% movies...20% music.
    Everyone here deserves a pat on the back for all of the help you give on a daily basis. You guys don't have to give this info but you insist on it.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks guys...

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Wow that reads like my dream speaker system! And it's darn close to what I have. [​IMG]
    I have had nothing but good experoience with my B&W speakers. I'm happier with them every day I use them. However, recently my amplifier has been on the fritz, and I've been using my backup from the bedroom (yes I'm insane - DD5.0 in the bedroom). These speakers don't like low budget receivers. They sound a bit grainy with the little Pioneer 606 receiver. I've also used two Onkyo receivers, an 828THX and a 919THX with them. Comparable to todays 8xx and 9xx receivers I would guess. Also, my current rig is Sherwood Newcastle 9080 separates.
    With the Onkyos and the S/N combo the 602s (601S2 rears) have been very happy. I would expect them to shine with any of the receivers that you are currently considering.

3. Chris Lanni

Christopher
    Thanks Philip. I have a question for you..don't you have one of the bookshelves as your center? Does it affect your tv in any way? I just have a regular 27" toshiba tv, am I going to have a problem with the speaker not being magnetically shielded? If so how far should it be from the tv?

Philip I saw your system and the one thing that I thought looked good (aside from the home theater) was the paint job.

Chris

4. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

I have the 602's. I just finished doing an in-home demo of the Denon 3802 and Marantz 7200. Both sounded amazing, so much better than the Kenwood I'm currently using.

IMO, the 602's sounded better with the Denon. I thought the Marantz was too warm.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!

You Very well may have a problem. The 602 bookshelf is not viedo shielded so you may have interference with it on a regular TV. In your case a dedicated video shielded center would probably be better.

Look it up online at B&W, they will probably have some kind of warning. Having an improperly shielded speaker close to your picture tube can DAMAGE the tube!!! The reason I can get away with it is because on a RPTV like mine the picture tubes are way down at the bottom of the box. There's no problem.

6. Dave Ramsey

Dave Ramsey Auditioning

That's not exactly correct. While non-shielded speakers can distort the image on your TV, it will not do permanent damage to the tube. You'll just have to back the speakers away from the set.

-dr

7. Chris Lanni

Christopher
    OK Dave lets assume that I don't put the speaker right on top of the tv. Let's say I put it on one of the shelves of my entertainment center, how far away would you think I would have to put it? If no one knows, where do you think I could find out?

Chris

8. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Chris,

If you aren't using an RPTV or FPTV, use a shielded, center channel speaker. It WILL do long term damage to your screen if you keep it there. In the short-term, moving it back and forth...it won't have lasting effects, but it will damn sure ruin your TV if you keep it there.

The LCR-600 is a great match for the 602s.

You've made a great choice with those speakers, they are my favorite speakers in the 600 line.

Jeremy

9. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I run my B&W's with a Marantz SR7000 and I couldnt' be happier. It delivers very clean, solid power to the speakers. It sounds wonderful.

Go with the dedicated, shielded, center rather than the 602. The LCR600 is a great unit. My 603 mains really distorted the crap out of my Wega when I first got it. I had to move the speakers and recalibrate. With a center you don't always have that option. You need at least 16-18 inches of space, depending on the speakers and TV in question.

--Steve

10. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Philip I looked at your system (nice[​IMG]) and you have your center 602 inverted. Chris, this arrangement migh help you get the big magnet in your center further away from the TV tube, especially if it's on a shelf above the TV instead of directly on it.
    It's dangerous though. Can you email B&W to get a straight answer?

11. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I've got 602 S2's for my mains and use a Rotel RSX972 receiver. The surrounds are LM1's, the center is an LCR6 S2 and the sub is an ASW 300. I love the setup and couldn't be happier (until I get the upgrade bug [​IMG] ).
    Rotel and B&W are supposed to be made for each other, I'd have to agree.
    Of course all this gear is now 1 generation old (the S2's replaced by S3 and the Rotel receiver has also been replaced by a follow on unit with more bells and whistles).

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I agree with Philip that these B&W's do like quality amplifiers, so I would avoid budget receivers. I drove my 604 S2 / 602 S2 combination with a Sony 50ES receiver for almost three years. While the Sony ES is certainly not a budget receiver, I did notice an improvement when I upgraded to a Pioneer Elite 47TX receiver a few months ago. The center channel, especially, was noticably clearer.

Also, I recently added two 602 S3's for the rear center surrounds, since I could no longer find any Series 2 models locally. The Series 2 and Series 3 seem to be timbre matched (or my receiver's MCACC auto calibration did a masterful job of matching the 602 S3's to my 602 S2 surrounds).

13. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I use all B&W's from the DM range some are the S3 versions, I used to run them all off a Marantz SR-4200 which was o.k but I couldnt afford anymore at the time, I did however test the 4200 side by side with a Denon 1802 and the Marantz definately sounded better, especially with music which I must admit the Denon seemed a bit dull when compared, with movies their was nothing between them but the Marantz won it over with the Music.

I recently upgraded to the Marantz 7200 (Wish id waited as the 7300 is imminent) but I compared the 7200 to a denon 3802 and found similar results, I also find the Marantz receivers to be more user friendly, people may disagree. I hope this is of some use.

14. Chris Lanni

Christopher
    Thanks Jeremy, Steve, and James about the shielding concerns and ideas. It's nice to know that you guys are looking out for us neophytes.

Scott if you happen around this way, what did you pay for the Elite 47tx?

James_N_H what do you think of the SR7200 remote?

15. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

I'm using a Marantz SR7200 driving my DM601 S3 as fronts, LCR60 S3 as center, and for the meantime, Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 as surrounds. I'm very happy with it.

I compared it with Denon 2802 and the Marantz sounded better with Music. The S2 and S3 has a very detailed tweeter compared to the S1 so it matches the warmth of the 6200/7200.

The LCR60 is a perfect match for the 601 or 602. Trust me. the integration is perfect. I watch DVDs almost every night! :)

Once I get extra cash, I will upgrade my fronts to a DM602 S3 or maybe a CDM-1NT.

16. James_N_H

James_N_H Stunt Coordinator

Compared to the remote that came with the 4200 the 7200's version is much, much better. Only thing I would complain about is that it does not have a backlit display which would have been handy for watching movies.

17. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Chris,
    I will be upgrading to B & W shortly (oneday). I have auditioned and will purchase
    Mains - 803 Nautilus
    Surrounds CDM9's
    Rears CDM1 (?)
    Center - in the CDM line
    I am not exactly sure of these model numbers except for the Nautilus, all else will be built around them.
    I have heard this set-up on a Denon 5800 and they did sound "grainy". I later heard them with seperates and a simple Yamaha amp driving them and they sounded great, almost night and day. They do take "juice" to drive them, but damn they sound great.[​IMG]

18. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

I'm running some 603s2 towers with a Marantz SR7000, and I'm very happy. I think the B&Ws sound quite nice with the warmth of the Marantz.

19. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

Phil,
    You definatly need quality power to run N800 line especially to bring out the lower frequency. N800 line are VERy revealing and lower quality upstream electronics/cables with yield a less than pleasing sound (hence the grain you heard).

I would reccomend an alteration to your setup plans. Drop the surrounds to CDM1NT's to match the rears then upgrade the center to the NHTM1. The center is THE most important speaker for HT (IMO) and you're better off spending money on a great center than great surrounds. My speaker config will be N804 mains, NTHM1 center, DM601S3 surr, DS6 rears.

Marc

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Another B&W user checkin' in. 602s as mains, LCR60 in the center. I use a NAD T750 receiver and have no problems.