B&W owners help me or I will cry!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Brian.M, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Brian.M

Brian.M Extra

Hi there, I have a problem and need help. My dedicated HT room is 15'x25'x8' with a front projector and an onkyo 701 receiver. This is my situation, I don't have a sky is the limit budget so all my speakers have to be bookshelves. I need a 6.1 system but since I cannot hear it before buying it I will have to rely on your feedback.
    First Option (within budget)
    4 DM303
    2 LCR3
    1 velodyne or B&W 10" sub

Second Option (starting to really sting)
    2 DM601 - mains
    2 DM303 - surrounds
    1 LCR6 - center
    1 LCR3 - rear
    1 velodyne or B&W 10" sub

Third Option (ouch!)
    2 DM602 - mains
    2 DM303 - surrounds
    1 LCR6 - center
    1 LCR3 - rear

Now I am sure all of you will go for the third option, but I am on a budget and need to ask a few things.
    1. Can an all around DM303 with 10" sub fill a room this size with good movie sound?
    2. Is mixing 600 series (mains) and 300 series (surrounds) not a good idea?
    3. Is there a hug difference with a 300 series all around and a 300/601 or 602 mix? Is it 100% better or 25% etc?
    4. Any other suggestions in mixing and matching the B&W speakers or different subwoofer sizes?

Thanks to all in advance. [​IMG]

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Are you set on B&W already?

I would skip on the B&W sub and get something like an SVS, B&W doesn't make the highest-value subs, though they are nice enough to get the job done. I would go for something like option 2.

However, I am biased, since when I was at this pricepoint, I ended up preferring the cheaper paradigm monitor series over the 600 S3, so that's my bias. If you've not auditioned around already, do that first before settling in on B&W. If you have already found the B&Ws to be your best fit, then you may want to go back and compare the 300 series to the 600 series and see how big the differences are for you.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you're set on B&W then I would give some consideration to 601 mains AND surrounds, LCR6 center, and skip the back-center for now. There's not a ton of 6.1 material out there and skipping the back surround will really help make the rest of your system better. 7.1 also seems to be the beter solution as a single rear center can cause soudns directly behind you to have indistinguised location or sound like they're actual coming from in front of you (psychoacoustics). This will also let you get a perfectly matched setup of better speakers as well as give you the option to upgrade the mains down the road (603s maybe) and use all 4 601s in the back for a 7.1 setup. I really don't think the 300 series would would fill a room your size with the kind of sound you're looking for.

I would also look elsewhere for subs. I'm not sure what the B&W goes for but I would look at the Adire Rava in the $400 range and if more than that I would look at SVS.

Hope this helps

4. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

just becuase the speaker is bigger or more expensive doesnt mean its better.

as a b&w dealer, i personally feel that the dm600 and the dm602 are the best speakers in the line. if you are freaked out with the price of the 602's, i would suggest doing 4 600's, and the lcr60. this would be within your budget probably. its a great setup. get a decent sub and you can really fill in where the 600's cant play.

5. Ferdinand*T

Ferdinand*T Second Unit

Personally I would try to stick with one speaker line. Some speaker combinations just don't work well and some do. You just have to do some research to find which ones. I don't think you'll have problems using two different B&W lines but if I were you I would go with the 600 Series 3 all around. Seems like you cutting yourself short just to get all of the speakers now. Buy what 600 series 3 you can and save for the rest. I'm running B&W 600 Series 3 all around. I have a 7.1 setup. I have the DM602's up front, DM601's for the sides, DM600's for the rears, and an LCR60 center. I can't express enough how much I love and enjoy this setup. Don't buy a B&W sub, for the amount there charging you can buy something better like an SVS. I was in the same boat as you I was looking to buy a B&W to have everything B&W but after some research I went with SVS hands down. B&W subs just aren't worth the money in my opinion. This is B&W's weakpoint.

Now as far as Paradigm and B&W both have two different sounds so it difficult say buy this speaker brand because its cheaper. If they sounded the same that would be fine but they don't. Paradigm are bright sounding speakers where as B&W has a warm sound because of their excellent mids. Both brands are great speaker lines it just all depends on the sound you want to obtain.

Click the link in my signature to see my theater.

6. Brian.M

Brian.M Extra

sniff, sniff. Gee thanks to all you experts out there. My work has currently thrown me to the Philippines for a extended period (til I get promoted to CEO or quit my job). It's great here, friendly people and all, but their home theater outlets are at their infancy and there aren't many people whom I can ask other than the sales people (circuit city/ best buy type knowledge).
    All of you have been load of help! You cannot imagine the weight that has been lifted from my shoulders! Absolutely great feedback from you all!
    The reason for my childish sobbing is that the local B&W wont set up all the three options here just so I can listen to it (I don't blame them since setting up three 6.1 systems is not easy), nor do they have that take home and upgrade in a few months policy so I pay for what I get and no turning back.
    But they have good prices like $475 for a pair of 602s and $250 for 303s.
    Any more comments and suggestions would be appreciated from way over here. [​IMG]

7. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Brian,

YGM

8. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

When I auditioned these B&W speakers, I felt that the difference between the 600s and 303s was night and day. The 600s were so much more clear; the 303s sounded muddy and recessed compared to them.

I felt that the differences between the 600 bookshelf speakers is that as you move up the line, the sound they put out is bigger and has more bass. Since you're getting a sub, the bass issue isn't an issue at all. So my advice is dump the 303s from the mix.

9. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

and like ive said above, i think the 600 is a better speaker than the 601. put something thats not bass heavy on it (it can have bass, just not like hard rock or something), the 601 will sound very vieled, where the 600 sounds open and clean. and given power, it can thump too.

the 300 series is definately an insult to B&W, stay away from it.

10. EricB

EricB Agent

Hi Bryan! I'm glad you find my home country nice. So you'll be more familiar with the local HT/Audio scene, I would recommend you to visit pinoydvd.com (a local website) so you'll be able to gain local contacts and access local resources. There are a lot of 'less-known but more knowledgable' dealers that these people might be able to refer you to, and they always conduct EBs to demo their setups.

Hope this helps.

11. Brian.M

Brian.M Extra

Hi EricB! I just love it here in the Philippines! I'm over at Cebu where the beaches are 15 minutes away. Shopping is good here but the serious things are in Manila. And thanks a heap for the pinoydvd.com advice, I will check that out. As for DVDs, well who can beat $1.42 per! Hahaha! Keep cool over there at Saudi. I know that's dumb advice. [​IMG]

12. Glenn Shoemake

I purchased my B&Ws used from a friend who had moved over from the UK so not sure what the American Equivilent are of these models.

Fronts B&W DM 620i
    Center B&W DM 600 IFS
    Rears B&W DM 602i

Subwoofers SVS PC+ 16-46 and PC Ultra running in a 5.2 setup with a Harmon Kardon AVR 520 receiver. All in all I am very happy with the sound of the B&Ws and how the SVS adds the extra bass for Home Theater. The B&Ws are a very muscial speaker and is quite noticeable when playing LOTR EE in DTS when they are playing the instrumental music.

13. EricB

EricB Agent

Bryan,

So you're in the south huh? Well, the two B&W showrooms I know happen to be in Manila, but I'm pretty sure there are a lot of others which the folks at dvdpinoy might be able to refer.

Happy hunting and yeah, hard to keep cool here when temperature's up at 48. [​IMG]

Eric

PS: How about a dollar for a DVD? [​IMG]

14. Brian.M

Brian.M Extra

A buck for a DVD?! Damn! There's a retailer here in Cebu that carries B&W, bit more expensive than Manila. But when you think about airfare and lugging so many speakers, forget it I'll shell out the difference here! And 48 freakin degrees?! When it gets to 39 here I'm medium well! Anyway keep safe and I'll have some pancit canton, galunggong and lechon for dinner with you in mind, I think lechon is taboo over there. [​IMG]