B&W Owners - Dipoles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Riggs, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Michael Riggs

Michael Riggs Auditioning

Just wondering what B&W owners (specifically CDM users) are doing about dipole speakers since B&W doesn't make dipoles (at least I think they don't). Since most surround formats recommend dipoles for the side surrounds are you using another brand or using direct radiating B&W's?

I have the CDM-9NT's up front w/ the CDM center. Right now I have Cambridge dipoles on the side and Polk direct rad's for the rear. I would like to upgrade to all B&W for timbre matching benefits, thus my question regarding the dipoles. I will probably get the CDM-SNT's for the rear. So I could possible get CDM-SNT's for both the side & rear, or get 1NT's for one of the positions or go with another brand of dipoles. Thoughts or recommendations?

2. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

I had CSW surrounds with B&W DM630 mains and NHTM2 center, CSW direct radiating rears. I change the surrounds for B&W DS6. THis is temporary. I am going to make a big purchase next month of N804s, NHTM1 (swap for the NHTM2) and DM601S3 for surrounds and move the DS6 to the rear. the rears are mono channels so a dipole with limited freq response (DS6 goes 80hz to 8khz) will work fine. B&W saws no dice to dipole surrounds anymore. I would reccomend direct radiating for application in not only HT but multichannel music.

Marc

3. Phil P

Phil P Agent

B&W does make a dipole speaker-the CDS6 which is part of their Custom Installation Series. However, I do not know whether they will match with your current speakers.
    I just recently sent a similar question to B&W, that is, whether the CDS6 would match with their Nautilus line of speakers because this line also does not have any dipoles. Their reply was that they would not match because of different drivers and cabinets. They also said they prefer direct radiating speakers for surrounds going along with dts guidelines. Also, with surround formats in the future where there will be more multiple discreet channels, they feel direct radiating speakers will be better. This is in contrast to current thx guidelines.

4. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

I have CDM 7nt up front-- and 1 nts for surrounds. They sound great but they really dont get used that much. So for the money it may not be worth it but for aethetics it matches--Mike