B&W or SVS???

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Most rooms are definitely bad places for accurate speakers, particularly in the bass. It's amazing what some OC703 can do, though, with a bit of effort.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, Jack. I have some little $125 bookshelves in mind that would definitely benefit from OC703.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I feel the B&Ws are brighter of the two here, so I would definitely listen to both - you may like the B&Ws more.

mackie

Supporting Actor

Just to be difficult...

If you're serious about listening, you'll know how to properly setup your system at home and you'll recognize the impact of the dealer's room on the sound. Just because I get them in my home doesn't mean they'll be set-up properly or I'll get good results.

A speaker's sound is going to be impacted by the room and set-up but it's not going to change the overall character of the speaker. A Klipsch will sound like a Klipsch in any room and a Paradigm speaker is going to sound like a Paradigm speaker in any room. A Paradigm speaker will never sound like a Klipsch in any room.

Return shipping is a major pain. Driving 20-30 miles ain't so bad unless it's rush hour.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Point taken. I still think there are deals/brands available online that are worth the effort, especially subs.

Thanks for all of the input. I pulled the trigger today on the B&W's. I've got a good relationship with my local guy (ie...I spend lots of $ with him) so he hooked me up. Gave me the 601's (x4) and the LCR600 for the price of the 600's and LCR60. Now I just have to choose a sub............PB10-NSD, PB12-NSD, or the 25-31 PCi or 20-39 PCi. ~sigh~

Any big difference in the box vs cyllinder SVS? Besides the size and wife factor?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
The cylinders weigh less, however, of those subs you mentioned, I would opt for the PB-12 NSB. Deeper, louder than the others. 25-31 has lot of output but misses 17HZ-23 Hz range of PB-12NSD.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

It basically comes down to the size and wife factor. If you have a big wife, get the smaller sub.

Actually, they're the same performance-wise. That's not a small room, so you might benefit from the added headroom of the 25-31. Any of them would likely keep up with the mains, though, and I'd set the receiver's crossover to 100Hz if possible to maximize clean headroom. Speakers as "small", of course.

mackie

Supporting Actor

Especially Subs!!!! SVS and HSU rule the sub world! There are better, but man they're expensive.

Agreed there is a place for online speaker purchases. I suspect this will be the case more and more as the small audio stores continue to disappear.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

They aren't the same, because the PB-12 is now tuned lower. I'd imagine you give up a little output for that extension too.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chsblr