What's new

B&W or SVS??? (1 Viewer)

I am in the process of redoing my home theater. I have a 6 month old that is suddenly mobile and my current set-up of speakers/stands needs to go. I am having a wall unit built, so I need to switch to something smallish to fit into the shelves. Unfortunately, cost is an issue, so I need to keep it around $1200ish.

I am looking at B&W 600's (x4) with the LCR60 center and ASW600 sub or the SVS SBS-01 with the PB10-NSD or possibly the 25-31PCi. Or I could go with the B&W's with the SVS sub (price will be about the same either way).

I will be using my Pioneer Elite VSX-54tx. The room measures 14x26x8 with carpet. The room is open at one end and the tv (Mits 52" DLP) and speakers are at the other end.

This will be for 100% HT and gaming. Any input? Thanks.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I can't tell you which speakers you will like better, except I read a post on this forum a couple days ago that said the SVS speakers are a little bright.

I haven't heard them so take it for what it is worth.

The one thing I can say is that whichever speakers you get, forget the B&W subwoofer and get an SVS.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd take the SBS-01 w/ PB10 over the B&W's I've heard. The SVS set is very flat and extended through the mids and highs, which isn't everyone's preference or can seem bright in a "hard" room, though. The center is particularly notable, lacking the sizzle of many others which is nice for 5.1 music. Won't do reference levels in a room that large, but neither will anything even close in price/size.
I used these mounts in preference to the Omnimounts SVS sells:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=240-710

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
SBSs bright? Not at all IMO; in fact, I found them a bit laid back a bit in the highs, which is more to my liking. Between those two, I'd go with the SBS + 25-31PCi package.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I'd at least demo the B&W speakers. SVS, iirc, has a trial period, and it would allow you to make somewhat of an informed decision as to whether to keep them.

It's my impression, however, that B&W would be most attractive to music listeners-- that's why I bought mine.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The LCR 60s will give you better bass (-3dB @ 55Hz), and will play louder and with more midrange performance than the SBSs due to the dual driver arrangement. They are 3dB more sensitive at 88dB.

I really liked the SBSs with music though, and the room I listened to was fairly large.

Since these are what you're looking at, I'd also take a look at the Mordaunt Short 902s or 912s and a 905C center at www.ac4l.com I love my 902s.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Love my SBS with PB-10 but then again my room is only 12x15x8(or 7). Of course I have one side open also with a fireplace on the other and Pergo flooring. Hey we're renting the house so I can't make any changes. The only B&W I have heard was down at Roberts Audio in New London CT. Nice from what I heard but pricey and not in ideal listening conditions.

That's kind of what my setup is like in the LR. Although the room is 14x26x8, the TV viewing area is maybe 14x16x8. The distance from the screen to the couch is 11 ft. It's not a large area to fill with sound. The rest of the room is open with a fireplace, but you wouldn't be watching tv from that side of the room the way it is oriented.

As for the LCR60, it would only be used as a center channel. The four 600's would be F/R.

As I mentioned above, I really don't care about what the performance of the speakers are for music, this system is used 100% of the time for HT and gaming.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If you go with B&W I would definitely go for the LCR600 center. I've heard it said almost unanimously by those who have compared the two that the LCR600 is WELL worth the money over the 60.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
I actually like my SBS system for music. Anyone that wants to audition before they buy is more than welcome just PM me.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
source: bwspeakers.com

in my experience (I have an lcr3, dm303 for surrounds and dm601s3 for fronts, plus a dayton 10" subwoofer--built in stages :) ), the b&w speakers have a terrific soundstage, and a warm, lush sound. Perhaps it's a matter of taste.

But I haven't heard the svs speakers. So perhaps I'm missing out.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Speaker reviews depend on a standardized vocabulary, or at least a standardized methodology. Auditions can be far more useful.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

While it might be interesting to hear how speakers sound in someone else's room/system, I'm not sure if I'd discount all internet-direct brands out-of-hand. If you're serious about auditioning, you'll take speakers home anyway, so it's a question of driving vs. shipping cost.

I live about an hour away from SVS in Ohio, so that I'm not worried about any shipping charges. I will just pick them up. I am going to go listen to the B&W's tonight. How would the Ascend 170's stack up with a 340 center? I am 100% on the SVS sub by the way. Thanks for all of your input.

MikeNg

Second Unit
IMO the additional extension in the mains may not matter for HT since you're planning on deploying a sub. I'd cross it over before the rolloff point (higher) since your sub would have greater ease in reproducing the low end.

Lush and warm? Personally I like the cold, dry sound. :P

I think shipping costs/drive time is a small price to pay to know for sure what your ears like. There's just perfect substitute for hearing them in your room.

Good luck.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Many speakers that actually are "accurate" in terms of replicating input signal might sound cold and dry to some...accuracy is not high on the list of things that sell speakers. :)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
In fact, speakers that are actually flat from 20Hz to 20KHz will sound awful in most settings. Way too harsh and lacking in bass. One of the big myths in audio. O'course if you had the money for such speakers you could make them sound good by spending money on a lot of room treatments and a nice little tubed 3 watt single ended triode amp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks