B&W or Paradigm speaker systerm? Help me out please?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jason Cheung, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Jason Cheung

Jason Cheung Agent

I'm building a HT system for the first time and need some advice. Right now I'm considering a B&W system (probably the 600 series). But I also hear Paradigm systems are very good.
    Any advice out there? Anybody know which of these two brands are better? Also any other speakers I should consider?
    Thanks!

2. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

I don't think that you could go wrong with B&W or Paradigm. I think that B&W are a little overpriced. Out of the two Paradigm would give you the most bang for your buck.

3. SeanV

SeanV Stunt Coordinator

Jason,
    Because speaker preference is HIGHLY subjective there is no simple answer to your question. Both B&W and Paradigm make quality speakers, as do many other companies. Your decision is going to hinge on which sound you prefer. I auditioned botht the B&W 601-603 and the Paradigm Studio 40-100 and I preferred the sound of the Paradigms. This isn't to say that the Paradigms were "better", just that I prefered the sound they delivered. You can do a search on "What speakers do you own" to find out some brands that members here use. After that it's just a matter of going to audition speakers to see which you prefer. I would suggest you do the following:

1) Determine what your budget is going to be.
    2) Audition as many (quality) speaker models that fall within your budget.
    3) Choose the speaker that YOU like the most.

Sean

4. Paul Seyfarth

Paul Seyfarth Stunt Coordinator

Another speaker you might want to check out would Be Polk LSi series. You really need to go find those speakers and listen to them for a little while. Make sure you bring something to listen to that you know. Also remember that the equiptment powering the speakers also plays a major factor in how they sound. So trying to get the all played on the same stuff would also be nice.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Paradigm and B&W are two very different sounds.

I am not a big fan of the 600 series, personally, but the CDM line is very nice (and quite a bit more expensive).

The Polk LSI line is about 2X the price (MSRP) of the 600 series, so they may not be within the same budget.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I agree with john about the 600 series and the CDM series. I actually prefer the paradigm monitor series over the B&W 600 series, but the CDMs (in certain ways) over the V2 studios. I've yet to hear the V3s, though.

But you REALLY need to go listen to each and see which ones you prefer. A lot of people love the 600 series. I didn't, and that's just my preference. You need to go audition.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I myself am a big fan of the B&W 600 S3 series. (Go with the LCR 600 if you go this rout) I have not been able to demo the CDM line up and the Paradigm's were just to bright for me. I can see why users like the Par though. Very detailed and sharp/crisp. Good luck Jason in your search.[​IMG]

8. Jason Cheung

Jason Cheung Agent

Thanks y'all for the advice so far! I really appreciate it.

I definitely will need to listen to some Paradigms in addition to the B&W's. From what I've read (so far) it "sounds" as though the B&W's are not as "sharp/crisp" as the Paradigms. AND, that this may not necessarily mean one is better over the other...it comes down to preference. Good point. Thanks SeanV

Now, if I may, with a $2500 - $3000 US budget, what speaker and receiver/amplifer package would you suggest (whether B&W, Paradigm or whatever...)?

I know this isn't a big budget, but it's about what I'm willing to spend. And, I'd like to get the most for my money...and it seems like this forum is a good way to get some good info.

Anyways, thanks again!

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

There are lots of great recievers out there, from Denon, HK, Marantz, Outlaw, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Yamaha, Rotel, etc etc. (each time i type this mini-list of brands i always forget a couple good ones...)

I personally own a marantz 5300 with paradigm mini-monitors, so that's my bias. The differences between recievers in sound isn't too huge, and the feature sets are largely the same in a comparable price range. You'd be happy with most any of those, unless they *really* don't match well with the speakers you choose. I also wouldn't get a cheapie, whether you get digms, or B&Ws, or whatever else may be out there, you don't want to shortchange them either.

Listen to as many speakers as you can.

Good luck!

10. SeanV

SeanV Stunt Coordinator

11. Jason Cheung

Jason Cheung Agent

Thanks Chris for your input on receivers.

Thanks Sean also for your input...

I'm primarily looking for a 5.1 system. But would planning ahead for a 7.1 system in the future balloon my budget?

Yes, my budget does include a sub. And by the way, should I get a sub that matches whatever speakers I get? i.e. B&W speakers with a B&W sub? I heard that with subs you can go ahead and get the best one (of course, in your price range). Is this true?

Also, the ration of my system use would be 99.9% HT.

So, I hope this lays out some more details. Anymore suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

[Also...is the Sony 4ES receiver any good? I'm reading a bit about it...but is that in my range?...]

Once again, thank you in advance...

Jason

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For HT only, I would recommend the Paradigm Monitor series over the B&W 600 series. If you would have said more music, I might have said the 600s might work better, but strictly HT, the 'digms will do the trick.

Where are you located? I am about to sell off my entire set of Paradigm speakers. My Titans are up in the for sale area already, Monitor 5s and a CC370 soon to follow for a very good price (all original boxes, very good condition).

You will definitely also want to look into Axiom.

It is a good idea to get the best sub you can afford, but there is no real need to buy one from the same manufacturer as your other speakers.

13. SeanV

SeanV Stunt Coordinator

Jason,

This breakdown is just an example, as I've said before you have to actually listen to hear what you like. The system that I currently have is as follows

fronts - Paradigm Studio 40s V2 660
    surround - Paradigm Atoms 160
    (This was the deal I got on the V2s, now that the V3s are out)

center - Studio CC 500
    sub - SVS 25-31PC 549
    Receiver - Marantz 7300(6 ch) 700 (refurb w/2 year warranty

grand total 2619

I think that this is a pretty decent system with room to upgrade. Since you are going to do %99.9 HT you can let the sub handle most of the bass. There are just so many different combinations of speaker/receiver/sub that are possible to get a pretty good system for your budget. Hope this helps.

SeanV

14. SeanV

SeanV Stunt Coordinator

I forgot the dollar signs at the end of the equipment. That was meant to show you what my cost was.

Sean

15. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Jason,

Since you're asking for all options aside from B&W or Paradigm, which are both fine speakers.

I suggest checking out Onix Rockets Package #3 their running a sale on them right now for $1800. They may still have the deal going on their sub for an additional $199 too but I'm not sure on that.

Couple that speaker package with a Denon 2803, Marantz 7300, HK 525, or Pioneer Elite 45 and you'll have a very nice system.

Since your HT use will be so high, I would also recommend going with the Paradigm Monitor series speakers as they'd save you some money versus the B&W's. However, listen to all your options before making any decisions.

Some of the speakers may make you reconsider your use ratio.[​IMG]

Alex

16. JonathanOh

JonathanOh Agent

V3 Paradigm Studios are out and are more expensive than v2.

You will not be able to squeeze new Studios all around plus a sub and receiver into a 3k budget. You could save some money on the surrounds as it is not as important to match those to the front (though preferable).

For WAF reasons, I have Paradigm Atoms for surround (actually they just came in today). They are not even close to my Studios 20s but are less then 1/4th as expensive. I am sure they will do the trick till the wife lets me get something larger (Studio ADPs).

I read the hype here on Paradigms and while I cannot say with authority that they deliver the best bang for the buck as people say, I can say that the Studios are very good and should be on your audition list. Mine have simply opened up my old CDs, revealing new levels of detail that I did not know were there.

My receiver is a Pioneer 45tx. It sounds great with my Studios. The Pioneer Elite line of recievers is very good. Other good ones are Denon, Onkyo, H/K and Yamaha.

If it were me, I would try to spend around 2.5k on speakers and the other 500 on a decent reciever. Electronics seem to evolve the most and much faster than speaker technology. In other words, a good 5 year old speaker is probably still a good speaker today while a 5 year old reciever is simply outclassed by a comparablely priced new one (or at least this was my experience).

17. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

go with a NAD receiver

18. Jason Cheung

Jason Cheung Agent

Thanks y'all for your help!
    JonathanOh...I appreciate your budget breakdown of $2.5K for speakers and $500 for the receiver. Your point makes sense.
    And yes, I agree, I think the V3's are a little (or a lot) out of my range.

I will be listening to some speakers today, and finally get a taste of what all this HT stuff is all about. I'll have to really hear what the Paradigms are all about...

Thanks again!

Jason

19. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

I too have fallen in love with the paradigm brand. I heard a set about two weeks ago, and I can't find anything comparable.

I'm pretty new to HT, and my budget is limited. But for the price I paid (under 600 w/shipping), I think the H/K 525 was a pretty good deal. Even with my terribly old and out of date techniq speakers (which were passed down while in college), everything sounds multiples better than my not too old JVC receiver.

I'm now looking to get a set of paradigm monitors to finish everything off, once I find a dealer willing to come down some on the price. I plan on going with the Monitor 7's ($700), cc370($350) and mini monitors($350). I don't think those prices are too bad, but I've heard that I may be able to find them a tad cheaper. But I think the H/K worked great for my needs and my budget.

20. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

Jason, now this post is purely a "most bang for your buck" post. If you are either set on either Paradigm or B&W, or uncomfortable with internet order, by all means ignore this post.

However, with a $3000 budget, I second Alex's suggestion of the Onix Rocket package #3 for $1800. That gives you the RS550 Towers, the BIGFOOT center, and the RSS dipole surrounds. This package would be untouchable in your price range if sold in the same types of stores where you would buy Paradigms or B&W. I went listening to Paradigms before I bought my Rockets. I was not impressed. I am very glad I took the chance on the Rockets. IMHO, no speaker can touch them in the same price range. Gotta love factory direct. You would have 30 days to try them out.

Then you could get the DENON AVR-3803 for $809 at Dakmart. Dakmart is a Denon Authorized seller of Denon Refurbished products. That means you get the full factory warranty. The only reason I suggest the refurb is the bang for the buck. With the full warranty, it shouldn't matter that it is refurbished/b-stock. The 3803 is $1200 receiver. It is insanely good for that price. 110 watts per channel, 7.1 reciever. Lots and lots of features. Very awesome. Please look it up. Crutchfield is a good place for reference/research.

This would give you about $400 for a sub. You could possibly get a package deal price on the sub through av123/Onix if you bought the HT package #3. This would also consolidate shipping costs. Or you could look into an HSU sub. IF you had a tad more budget ($200), you could enter into the realm of SVS subs.

You get so much more for your money when going factory direct. Problem is, some people will not take the chance. You could post to see if anyone in your area has Rockets to hear them. Audioenvy is another site where you can sign up to hear a product, if anyone in your area has that product, they can contact you for a demo. You could also ask the guys at Onix to help out finding a demo.

Good luck with your decision.