What's new

B&W or Mordaunt Short (1 Viewer)

Steve_Blazer

Stunt Coordinator
As soon as the new SVS is paid for I'm going to upgrade the front (I currently have Primus 360s).

Ive managed to whittle it down to two choices - the B&W 604 and the Mordaunt Short Avant 908i.

Ive listened to the B&Ws and they sound great but I cant find anywhere local to audition the 908s.

I used to have a pair of Mordaunt Shorts before I emigrated to the US and they sounded really really good.

I was sad when I had to get rid of them and actually thought you couldnt get them here but I finally found a few online retailers.

So - anyone out there tried a set?
If so how do they compare to the B&Ws ?

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Sorry I don't have anything to say about the Mordaunts, but I just wanted to say that I have found that it's best to keep an open mind and an open ear when auditioning and shopping for equipment. Especially speakers.

I was in the same boat as you. I immigrated from the US to Japan not too long ago and gave up my beloved Klipsch speakers. Try as I might to locate some here, it was in vain, so I thought I might import some over from the US. Then I discovered that they even though good speakers are hard to find here, I did find some. B&W 600 Series 3, actually. Not quite in the same class as the 604s - budget doesn't allow - but definitely on par with yet more refined than the Klipsch speakers I formerly owned.

My point is, it would probably be a good idea to audition some others besides what you have listed in your price range. You may be pleasantly surprised at what you find.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am a fan of B&W, but I have to say I prefer Mordaunt Short. I have the 902s in my bedroom and I set up a customer with the 905C, 904 mains, and 903S surrounds and I thought the setup sounded great. They still have that "British" sound like the B&Ws, but I feel their midrange is a bit more clear. I would say skip the MS subs however, and go for something nicer from HSU or SVS.

If you haven't been there yet, www.ac4l.com has some pretty good deals on Mordaunt, both new and refurb.

Elliot_W

Agent
The M-S 908s are a great speaker! I A/B'd them with v3 Paradigm Studio 60 and 100s and found them to be much more refined than the 'digms....and I like the Paradigm Studios a tad more than the B&W 600 series.

The only down side for me on the 908s was the laminate finish. They also are not well known in North America, so they do not hold their value as some of the more popular staples (B&W, Paradigm)....so that may be a consideration when the upgrade bug hits. Not sure about the placement with those passive subs either...hope you have lots of room.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, I was going to mention that as well. The veneers aren't exactly that great, which is weird for such a great sounding brand. In fact, the black I think actually looks worse than the other colors, but the overall construction quality is good.

Steve_Blazer

Stunt Coordinator
Well the 908s (if I go that way) will be sat in a 26' long by 13' wide room that opens out onto the kitchen/diner area.

The ceiling is 12'.

Theyll be paired up with an SVS PB12-ISD and I'll be keeping the Primus 150 surrounds and center.

If this isnt a decent fit I'll stick with the 604's I can both listen to and buy locally.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Curious - why would you want the powered 908 woofers when you already have a sub? Wouldn't the 906 or 904 be sufficient, or are you looking to listen to music without the SVS?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks