1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

B & W or Monitor Audio Silver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Which one of these speakers would "mate" better with the Pioneer 45, maybe the Denon 3803? They would be mainly used for HT, in a fairly large room - 25' x 15'. I like the sound of the B&W 603 but they aren't shielded, which could be a necessity because of space (& wife). To me they sounded very comforting, very natural, not bright like Klisch. The Monitor Audio Silver series also sounded good and they are shielded.
    Would either one be a good choice?
    I also need ideas for a sub, maybe a Paradigm.

2. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

Brad,
    I just spent 5-6 weeks auditioning speakers for my HT. I have the Denon 3803 and my room size is very similar to yours 25x17.
    I listened to many brands and narrowed it down to either the B&W ( CDM 1NT / CDM 7 NT) or Monitor Audio ( Sliver S8 ). Decided I really liked the mid-range with the floor standing speakers and found the MA more to my liking. The difference in price ( although not a variable in my decision process ) I put toward a better Sub. Another advantage is the Silver LCR is more compact that than CDM Center so my wife will be happier.
    Choosing a sub is a dilemma in itself. We both have a large room and a if you want the HT “sub” experience you are going to need a box that pushes a lot of air. Size was a big restraint for me, so I was limited. I chose the Velodyne HGS-15 because anything bigger than 19” was going to require limited placement. The HGS series had a great, clear sound for both music and movies, is fairly compact, aesthetically appealing (wife) and the 15 can move a lot of air at low frequencies. ( I also have a contact that got me a great price )

Receiver: Denon 3803
    Fronts: MA Silver S8
    Center: MA LCR
    Surround: Infinity ES ( old speakers filling in until the next phase)
    Sub: Velodyle HGS-15

Enjoy the process !!!

If I can help further let me know.

3. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Are you plased with the sound of the Monitors with the Denon? Is your setup used mostly for music or HT?

Thanks for your input

4. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately I don't have my system set up yet. I am in the painful process of waiting. I have the HGS-15 and MA LCR sitting in a box in my garage while I wait for the S8's and my Denon to arrive.
    I didn't listen to the MA on the 3803 but I did have a chance to autition them with the 3802 and they sounded great. I am assuming they will sound the same if not better.
    My use will be 70 % HT / 30 % Music.
    If I was going to invest in a system I wanted it to satisfy both very well. I auditioned speakers with music in mind. If they passed that test HT was next. If you find a speaker that can respoduce music/voice well, you will have an awesome HT system.

Which Silvers did you listen to?