B&W or JMLABS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andres Arizaga, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Andres Arizaga

HI.
    Im going to change my system's speakers, these are the best brands (JMLAB and B&W), that I could find here in Uruguay.

I´ll use them 70%music and 30%movies, so........ wich are the best to match with a Marantz sr7000?
    ThanX.[​IMG]

2. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Andres,

In our area, I was able to audition most speakers and I put JMLabs and B&W at the top for my tastes. I ended up with B&W since they were more cost effective for me. Marantz is supposed to be excellent for music, many on this board highly recommend them for speakers that may seem harsh. I sure can't see a problem with either speaker, just pick the one that sounds best to you.

Joe

3. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I have aan SR7000 driving a full set of B&W speakers. I am not sure which ones you are looking at. I have the 603s for mains and the 601s for surrounds. I would gladly recomend this combo to anyone. The SR7000 supplies good solid power to the speakers. I also have a B&W sub. It's ok, but there are better subs out there for the money.

While I will likely get an amp when $ allows, I do not feel that this is needed right away. This is sort of planning ahead as I hope to add an addition to my house and have a bigger listening area. But as is, I will often crank my music to -7 or -10 below ref and it's really clean with low distortion.

Good Luck,

--Steve

4. Bernard Drapeau

Hi,

I have listen to both brands (JMLabs Chorus 725 and B&W 905 I'm not sure). Finally I made my choice with JMLabs. IMO for about the same price they have more «open» sound and a better soundstage. I have a Pioneer Elite 26-TX and I listen 60% music and 40% Movies. If you want to see my «setup» go to Theater area...

Btw, I'm a french speaking person so be nice with my (poor) english...

;-)))

Good luck with your choice!

5. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Marantz and the B&W 600 series speakers are a match made in heaven. The really complement each other very well. Go with what YOU like though.

Pete

6. Andres Arizaga

Thanks for your replies.
    I had listened the B&W's 600, and the JMLab´s Chorus 700 series; and finally I decided to go with the JMLab for fronts,rears, and SW(725 front, 710 rear, electra SW33), and B&W for center(CDMC).
    IMO JMLab ofers better price/performance relationship than B&W, however both are great speakers.
    Thanks again, cya. [​IMG]

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Andres, i would recommend getting the same brand of speakers across the front so they will be timbre matched. this is really important and you will notice a difference. get the same brand of speakers for the mains and center.