B&W or Earthquake?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Alex Killin, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Alex Killin

Alex Killin Auditioning

I'm putting together a Home Theater System that would be used for 60% movies and 40% music. I listen to a wide mix of artist or bands such as the Eagles, Eric Clapton, Celine Dion, Pearl Jam, Whitney Houston, Madonna, Bob Marley, Eminem - I can listen to any genre of music as long as it has good instrumentals or vocals.

So far I have a Harman Kardon AVR-630 receiver, B&W DM602's bookshelves, B&W CC-6 center channel, and a Panasonic 47" rear projection tv.

I have a opportunity to purchase an Earthquake Saturn Orbital 5.1 system for $950. Would this be an upgrade over my B&W speakers? I already have $600 into my B&W setup and still need to buy (2) towers. What would be a better setup for the money? I can not find any reviews for the Earthquake system nor do I have a local dealer to demo so I'm relying on the knowledge on this forum. Any input will greatly be apprciated.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Caveat Emptor my friend. People who by stuff like to talk about it. Especially on the internet. If a product sucks you're likely to hear about it within minutes. But nobody wants to be the first test subject and buy the newest product.

My advice: Be patient and let someone sle buy the thing first and see what they think. Yes life is short, but so to is money a finite resource.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Personally, I haven't associated the name Earthquake with high end audio, so I would stick with the B&Ws.

4. Alex Killin

Alex Killin Auditioning

Thanks for your responses both valid points, however, I'm going to take the risk and buy it. At $950 for the system I firgure that I have nothing to loose and should have no problem selling at my cost in any case that I decide to stick with the B&W's.

I'll post my reviews once I get everything setup.

5. Zack<P>

Zack<P> Agent

if you decide to keep it and ditch your B&WS ill buy em from ya and pay shipping . considering shipping would be to a new york zip wouldnt be too much .

6. Alex Killin

Alex Killin Auditioning

Zack - Thanks for your interest. I will definitely keep you in mind.

7. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

i wouldn't touch the Earthquake Saturn speakers with a ten foot pole, their plantine noir, subs and amps are great, i can atest for that since my dad owns a sub and cinenova, but the saturn speakers just plain stink.

8. Alex Killin

Alex Killin Auditioning

What don't you like about the Earthquake Saturn Speakers? Have you auditioned them?

9. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I would seriously doubt speakers from Earthquake would compete with a nice set of B&W towers.. I'd keep the B&W's.