What's new

B&W or Dahlquist? Help (1 Viewer)

Rob Ball

Grip
I looking to get B&W 602 or the Dahlquist QX6. I've only hearded the 602, so I input on the QX6 vs 602. I have a Adcom GFA 5802 and Harman Kardon Signature Series 2.0. I just this stuff off a friend.

Thanks for the help

Travis G

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Rob,

The best thing to go to your local home audio dealer and listen for yourself.

When I was shopping for speakers several months ago I was surprized to find that some Celestion speakers sounded much more clear and natural on certian cds than some Boston Acoustic speakers. I was expecting the Boston Acoustics speakers to sound better because they are one of the more popular brands.

The moral of the story is trust your own ears and no one elses (at least when it comes to full range speakers). Alot of people will tell you to bring a few CDs that you are familiar with. However, this may lead you to favor speakers that distort sound in the same way as the speakers that you most often listen to.

I recomend bringing recordings with vocals on them. And recordings that aren't likely to have alot of effects and processing on them (maybe some classical or jazz recordings).

good luck,

Travis

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent recommendation. The best way to audition speakers is with vocal recordings. If you can get something you like with only vocals, the better. The biggest challenge to any speaker is the ability to reproduce the exorbanant detail of the human voice. Once you have a vocal reproduction you are comfortable with, all the other factors will fall into place for a great sound speaker that you and your ears will love. Good luck!

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I agree with the above but think you should also have some familiar wide range music and not so familiar music on hand- they hate me when I audition speakers :D The vocals are the ultimate way to judge, but familiar music that has a wide range of highs and lows paints a better picture for you as to the speakers capabilities. Non-familiar music helps eliminate some of that sonic memory bias that we may have formed. Also as far as the actual speakers you mentioned, many on this forum are comparing the B&W's, the Paradigms, and the Dahlquist line, so there should be good info on those if you do a search here. In the end, your room dynamics will have a hell of a lot to do with what you here, so make sure you can return if when you get them home they are not all you thought they were- but allow a Little adjustment time, of course. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks