B & W onwers....please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

voice your opinion on these speakers. I recently listened to the 603 series and really like what I heard, but being a newcomer to home theater, I would appreciate some opinions. I was originally going to purchase the Klipsch RF3 or 5's until I listened to the B & W's. They sounded much more gentle, not as sharp. They will be matched up with a Pioneer 45 receiver in a fairly large room (30'x15').

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I have the 603S2s for mains and an ASW1000 Sub. The surrounds are 601s and the center is the CC6. I really enjoy this combo alot and I love the sound. I could not, however, imagine using these without a decent sub (for both movies and music). Alone, none of the 600 series goes low enough, IMHO.

Unfortunately, I have never owned the Klipsch, so I can't help you there.

--Steve

3. Arnie_A

Arnie_A Agent

I have 601 Series 3's as L/R and LCR60 Series 3 as my center. Powered by a Marantz SR6200, I LOVE the sound. I've heard a lower-end Klipsch before but the highs on the B&Ws are extremely clear.

I agree with Steve that you should couple the setup with a good sub. I'm using a Velo CHT-10. My room is small enough that the 601s and the CHT-10 is just sufficient for good sounding music and movies.

4. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

5. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Thanks for the replies. What receiver is being used with the B & W's?

6. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Brad,
    I'm using an older Yamaha receiver. I'm in the market for a new receiver or pre-amp/power amp now. Rotel seems to be leading right now.
    Joe

7. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I use a Rotel receiver with my B&W 602 S2's. I also listened to Klipsch and agree that the B&W's sound less 'harsh' or 'brassy'. The dealer that I bought the gear from said that Rotel & B&W were a natural match. I tend to agree.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have had 602 mains for years and I absolutely love them. I wouldn't replace them with anything up to twice the cost. I plan on keeping them for many years to come. They are wonderful speakers. I'm not as enthusiastic about the more expensive B&Ws, I like other brands in that high price range. However, at the price of the 602s no speaker that I've ever heard can compare. My center is a 602 also, it sounds fantastic as well. My rears are 601S2 and they match up really nice. Now that I got a new preamp I may put something in the center in the back. I'll start by looking at B&W.

I am using a Sherwood AM-9080 amplifier and an Outlaw Model 950 preamp. I've previously used a Sherwood AV-P9080 preamp. Receivers I've used include an Onkyo 919, 828, Pioneer 606, and an old Philips analog ProLogic model. They have all sounded fantastic with these speakers.

9. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Brad,

I am not a B & W owner. I do however have A complete Klipsch set-up with RF-7's, bla, bla, bla.

I was considering the B & W's for a long while. However for me they need much more power and are lacking in base.

I too feel they have far superior highs with a crystal clear reproduction of music. I feel the klipsch do a better job at home theater as they are not (too me) as fatiging in the highs, over time. I feel Klipsch does a great job "rocking". I think B & W does a superior job with Jazz and clasical types of music. If that is the type of listening you like I can not imagine a better speaker.

Don't get me wrong as I am defanantly not slamming B & W. My dream systm would be centered around B & W Natilus speakers with 200 watt monoblock amps.

10. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

My main use would be home theater, but I just don't want to purchase something I will regret. I'm trying to do my "homework".