B&W Nautilus 805 or Full Kef Q System.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Im debating between a pair of Nautilus 805's and a denon avr-982. Or a full Kef Q3, Q9C, and PSW2500 with Denon AVR-982.

Both would run me about the same price. But I know I would be very happy with the B&W's. I will listen to mostly music. But I know if I had surround sound I would watch alot more movies.

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

My preference is for Kef, by a long shot for both music and movies. However, dump the Kef sub (way over priced for what you get, and you do not need to match the sub). Spend the money on a better sub. My preference here would be to have Brian at www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com custom build you a sub to your specs. Other than that the Adire Audio Rava or SVS subs are excellent choices.

How about this for a suggestion. Get a pair of the new Kef XQ5s. These are simply amazing speakers.

Hope this helps.

3. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Ditto.

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

What about a Sunfire or Def Tech sub. True sub or Super Cube. What about that?

5. JustinDR

JustinDR Agent

To be honest, I didn't at all like the Q3s when I demoed them at the store. That's odd though, since I've heard their egg satellites and owned the older reference 3s and really like both. Anyways, Kef do make great speakers and the Q series gets great reviews. I would certainly like to hear them again sometime. The N805s are nice, but you won't get the best out of them with the Denon. If you are going to stick with the AVR-982, I think the Kefs would be a better match and give you the added benefit of surround.

6. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Personally, I think it is a good idea to sink your budget into a better pair of speakers then trying for the same budget to get 5 speakers and a sub.

I think also that Justin is right about the N805's outclassing the receiver by quite a bit, who know maybe the XQ's would as well. But I am guessing the XQ's are in between the N805's and Q's in terms of price, and overall KEF and B&W aren't too far off from their house sound.

So I would suggest splitting the difference and getting some the KEF's george suggested plus a sub for a 2.1 system and then the receiver.

George is also right about alot of the big speaker manufacturers not making great subs or at least good bang for the buck subs. For many of these companies subs are an afterthought, that they just feel compelled to do, so that a customer could have all one brand in speakers. Look to companies that specialize in subs and you will probably end up with a more formidable sub at a lower price point.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I really like the sound of the B&W Nautilus series.