B&W Nautilus 800 vs 805 sig

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonJ, Jan 3, 2003.

1. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I went down to listen up and checked out the New 805 sig from B&W I loved them and I'm stuck between them and and the 800 Nat from B&W. There is a huge price difference between them I can get there demos for about $12,000 because there moving in the signatures but the sound qualities of the 3,500 805 sig where virtually the same in the mid to highs. Of course the 805 sig didn't go as low but for imaging, depth, weight, dynamics and for being musical in general were all there. I'm building this in stages first I want to to get my speakers the my components which will be Musical Fidelity. I'm not rich but I love my music I can swing the 800's cash but the 805's would be much easier. This is a very hard decision comments welcome.

2. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

You might have better luck posting your message on the Speaker Asylum:
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/speakers/bbs.html
    I think there are more people there who would be familiar with these two speakers. Not so many folks here who have been shopping for $12K/pair speakers.

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Don,
    I haven't heard the 805s, but have listened to a number of speakers in the $15K to $20K range. The 800 Nautilus was very impressive. I a-b'd these with the highly-regarded Dynaudio Confidence C4 ($16K). The Dynaudio's had a huge, enveloping soundstage which the N800s couldn't match. However the N800s had amazing reach-out-and-touch-them focus and slightly more authoritative bass. Overall, I thought the N800s were better. This was surprising to me because I'd heard the Nautilus 801s months earlier and was not at all impressed. Perhaps it was the room or associated equipment. So far, the N800s are the best I've heard --even better than the Wilson Watt/Puppy. I'm planning to listen to the Eggleston Andra II before making any decisions, though.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

5. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Hey Brian I check out that sie and there was just to much Audio snobbery going on there. But I have decided that I getting the 805 signatures. They sound great and my wife said"you are not getting 12K speakers" so that being said I going with the other option but still a good one.

6. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

Audio snobbery? Well, there is a bit of that, yes. But there are also a lot of knowledgeable people there, if you are willing to ignore the snobbery.

Sounds like you've made a decision you'll be happy with, in any case. The standard 805's are wonderful, and I assume the signature versions are even nicer. Just be sure to get the B&W stands. Everything I've read says that those speakers just don't sound the same without the matching stands.

Don't be surprised, though, if you find yourself wanting a subwoofer down the road to fill in the bottom two octaves. Unless the signature version goes dramatically deeper than the standard version, those speakers will prove pretty bass shy. As I recall, the song I always use to test bass response in speakers ("Magdalene Laundries" by the Chieftains and Joni Mitchell) sounds pretty awful on the standard 805's.

7. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Yeah I am being a little hard on the site. The first post I read people were calling Paradigm Monitors crap which really turned me off. No there not the best speaker out there but they are a great bank for buck. I was considering getting a Servo 15 to go along with but I'll have to see. There is a huge difference between the standard 805N and the Sig. The Sig's don't go much lower though but this is going in the living room for some critical listening, conversation and entertaining guest.

8. Murali Kalapala

I listened to the Vandersteen Reference 5s and they sounded Awesome(They were being driven thru really nice(& Expensive at 4K each)BEL mono block amplifiers). We were listening to the Telarc SACD-60561.

Shostakovich
    Symphony No. 5

Tchaikovsky
    Romeo & Juliet
    Fantasy overture.

Lorin Maazel
    The Cleveland Orchestra.

Track 5: Romeo & Juliet.
    About 5 mins into the song is a really dynamic sequence. When played thru the right equipment, it can bring joy to the heart.

If you are spending 12K you should give these a listen.

9. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

Dave, did you hear the W/P 7s or 6s?

And to the original poster, you might audition some Dynaudio 1.3SEs or even Annivarsary 25s. They are much more full range than the B&Ws, although a different house sound.