What's new

B&W Movie (Night of the Living Dead) has flashes of "color" (1 Viewer)

HalloweenNightJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Woodwell
*I wasn't sure exactly what forum to post this in, so if this is incorrect, my apologies and please move to the approapriate forum, mods.*

I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma, Oppo DVD player connected via HDMI directly to the TV. I was recently showing my girlfriend the Romero DEAD movies and when I went to watch the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD the other day I was surprised to see the black and white image have flashes of "color" for lack of a better term. A better explanation would be it looked like tint flashes where the B&W image had noticable flashes of redness and green-ness in the actual B&W image. I've seen this before in some B&W movies, but this was the worst I've seen it. I was watching the Elite Millennium version of NOTLD, not one of the crappy public domain versions. Any answers as to why this happens on some B&W discs?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It depends on what you're seeing, exactly. I'm not familiar with the specific disc you're talking about, but there are two possibilities:

1) An object or object was deliberately "colorized", either painted by hand or with computers. (The girl with the red - dress? scarf? - in Schindler's List is a classic example, the tinted sweat and bottles in otherwise B&W Gatorade commercials a less lofty one.)

2) The color is a kind of optical illusion. Fine lines, moire patterns and other objects that are too detailed to be correctly imaged within the limits of the physical pixel array will appear to "shimmer" and produce "color". There is no actual color information on the disc in these cases, and such illusions can be produced in the real world with actual objects IIRC, so they aren't strictly speaking a video artifact.

I suspect what you're seeing is an example of (2)

Regards,

Joe

HalloweenNightJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Woodwell
Its definitely not colorization. #2 is more along the lines of what it is. It doesn't even necessarily feel like a video artifact. It seems more like it could be an authoring problem.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
When I watch the Millennium edition on my HD-A2 I get the same effect. The image goes from B&W to a green tint to a red tint. It's consistent and definitely not a random phenomenon. It's been mentioned around here before and I believe it was suggested that HDMI upconversion may be the culprit. I've never actually bothered to try it at 480i/p on my A2 and never thought to see if the problem occurs when played on my PS3, though I'm pretty sure it will.

HalloweenNightJW

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Woodwell

That's what I'm seeing. I was wondering if the HDMI was the culprit. I know that another repackaged version of NOTLD was just released last week to coincide with the DVD release of DIARY OF THE DEAD. I wonder if that disc has the same issue...

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I'm seeing the same issue with the new disc. There are specific shots that have a green tint and then back to normal black and white. Very distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R2P
Recent bookmarks