B&W mains or something else

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Dennis Heller, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

I listen to mainly HT. My choices for mains are used B&W 602s3 (about $400 or so + shipping), new B&W 601s3 ($400 + tax), Totem Acoustic Dreamcatcher ($452 + tax for the finish I want, $405 for a finish I can deal with). The positives of going with the 601s or Totems is cool local dealers, new speakers (as opposed to used), get the finish I want (sorrento as opposed to black B&Ws).

I wasn't able to do a fair comparison between the three because they were at different dealers, and the 602s didn't have a sub and the 601s did. Is there enough of a difference between the 601s and 602s to settle for used? What are the pros/cons of the 602s and 601s? I'm looking at mains right now, with upgrades down the road. I use a Denon 1803 receiver and an SVS 20-39. Thanks.

2. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I have the 602s3 as mains and the 601s3 as surrounds. The 602s have so much more presence to them - even with the sub (crossover set to 80).

Orig, I had 601s all around. It was a big difference when I traded up the mains.

I also went with the larger center - the lcr600. That was also a good decision (compared to the 60). The center handles a lot of info. Dont skimp.

For HT surround use, I feel that the smaller 600s3 would work just as well as the 601s. I went with the 601s in the rear for musical (cd/dvd-a/sacd) reasons. If I was going for 7.1, I would use 600s as my surround back (#6 & 7).

My setup really sounds great. I did noticed that after 25~50 hours (break-in), it sounded even better (those woven kevlar drivers need to relax and even out).

One last ramble, the "s3" does sound better than the "s2". Of course, I bet we will see an "s4" relatively soon. The s3s are going on two years old now.

And if anything, your 80w receiver is going to be the weak link in your system.

3. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Rob, I definitely think the 602s are much better of a speaker than the 601s. [​IMG]

Definitely go for the 602s if you can afford it, if not the 601s will do what you need them to. [​IMG]

4. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I'll second that. My first set up was with 602s2's. They have much more of a presence than the 601's. Remember, black goes with everything and most of the depreciation has been accounted for by buying used.

FWIW, I didn't notice a significant difference between s2's and s3's for movie watching.

As I recally, B&W has traditionally had pretty long runs with their series, so if it's been only 2 years since s3's came out, you should be ok for at least another couple years. I probably could have told you the exact times but I'm out of the B&W camp now.

5. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

602s will definitely please you more than 601s. I use 601S2s for my rears. Going on five years now; damn things are probably the only HT component that I haven't swapped out in that time period.

6. Glenn Shoemake

Speaking of long runs, I have the B&W DM 620i for my fronts, DM 602 for rears and DM 600 IFS for center channel. I bought these used from a friend who had purchased them when he lived in England. They are probably around 8 to 10 years old and still sound exceptionally for music and home theater.

7. Dennis Heller

Dennis Heller Second Unit

I guess I'm sold on the 602s as opposed to 601s, even if I have to buy new. I was thinking, though, that maybe I should get the LCR600 before I get the fronts. I've been disappointed lately with my setup (Norh ceramics), which I've alwys been happy with in the past. It seems like the dialogue is muffled and unclear, so perhaps I should replace my center first. Just a thought.

If anyone has some feedback on the Totem Dreamcatchers, that'd be great.

8. NickC

NickC Second Unit

I have the 602 s3's as mains, the LCR 60 s3 as the center and just ordered the 600 s3 for surrounds, I am very happy with this setup, if I had more money I would have definatly bought the LCR 600 center, but for home theater the advantage wasnt that noticeable to me in the store, music however, was another story....

9. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I would (and did) go with the LCR600 for the center, even for HT only apps. A lot of movies are very center-loaded. The 600 has a lot more "impact".

If your in a small room, you could get away with the 60.

Yes, no question that for music, the 600 blends much better with the larger mains.

Of course, movies are 95% music.

Size wise, its a bit larger. 1" wider and 3" taller (depending upon your orentation). Most of the time, I keep mine in the vertical position (on a 16" stand) next to the tv. I flip horiz on the stand and move it in front of the tv when I have a lot of people in the room (wider soundfield).

10. NickC

NickC Second Unit

The 600 is better, no doubt, but I couldnt afford it, so i went with the 60, was only a college student at the time, if I ever get some spare cash in the future i would definatly pick up a 600 if they are still around in series 3, but until them I am plenty fine with my 60

11. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

A quick search of the Audiogon Blue Book listings yielded the following results:
    - 1996 - Original DM-600 "range" released
    - 1999 - DM-600 S2 "range" released
    - 2002 - DM-600 S3 "range" released

If this trend continues, we should be seeing the S4's in 2005.

Thoughts?

12. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

If you don't mind going used, the CC6 was a very nice center and there are generally some used ones for sale via audiogon or ebay. It's what I have, goes perfectly with my 602's that I have as fronts.