1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

B&W LCR60 vs. Paradigm CC-170????

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ernie Estrella, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Ernie Estrella

Ernie Estrella Stunt Coordinator

Ernie
    I'm looking to venture into the speaker upgrades, and since I'm planning for a wedding, my budget can only allow me to go with either the B&W 600 Series or a Paradigm Mini-Monitor or Titan series. I'm starting with the center channel speaker and then branching out to get a subwoofer (probably a PDR-10) and then replace my fronts with whatever matches my center. Center is really important to me since I am about 80% Home theater and 20% Music. What I'm wondering if those of you who may have been able to compare the B&W LCR 60 with the Paradigm CC-170.

I really don't want to have to go up to the CC-370 though I know that matches the Mini-monitors, but it's just too large for the room I have and the setup it would go into. The room's not too large, about 10' x 13' So I may have to settle for the Titan setup should I go with Paradigm. The dealers I have in the area don't have both Paradigm and B&W so it's hard to get an in-store comparison without having to drive a half hour apart. I'll be doing one last comparison this weekend and make my purchase at the end of the month. I know B&W and Paradigm have different sounds (but both seem to have their loyalty here) to them but I'm locked into one or the other. So anyone who could help me lean one way or the other would be helpful.

2. GrahamJW

GrahamJW Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ernie:

I have had a Paradigm CC-70 centre speaker for three years now and it is a great centre speaker. The sound is clear and voices seem to be natural (not too "tiny"). The CC-170 is a step up form the CC-70 so it should be more than adequate for your listening area. I can't comment on the B&W LCR 60, but I am sure there are some people in the Forum that can. I hope this helps.

Also you may want to go to audioreview and read some of the user reviews at that site. Another good site to visit is epinions; that site as all kinds of reviews on speakers etc.

Cheers..John

3. Ernie Estrella

Ernie Estrella Stunt Coordinator

Ernie
    Thanks John. I really like the B&W LCR 60 but have yet to hear the CC-170. The size and quality of the B&W fits me perfect but the price could be a bit better. Thing is I like the mini monitors but I hate how big the CC-370 is(won't fit in the entertainment center and dwarfs my 27" TV) even though I'm sure it sounds great together. I like the Titans but like the B&W 600s too. Audio Review has helped me out a great deal when it comes to the Paradigm speakers but not too much response on the B&Ws. I know a lot of people here have demoed both lines for their own purposes, which is what I'll be doing this weekend so I wanted to get some more feedback from other people.

4. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Pick your main speakers first and then decide on your center. I can't say enough how important it is for them to MATCH.

If the CC370 is a no go due to size (I have one and like it even had is on my 29 inch TV for a while and didn't care it barely fit.) then I would not go with the Min Monitors. (I have them as rears and like them by the way). Look at the Titans if that is what MATCHES with the CC170.

I have not listened to the 600s. I did listen to the 602.5 floor standers and and found them better on Music and equal for HT to the Paradigm monitor series (but quite a bit more $) hence I have Paradigm Monitor 7s. I would THINK that the B&W would be much better than the Titans but only you can decide.

At 80% home theatre if you get a mismatch between Center and fronts you will be unhappy at least 80% of the time . When a plane flys across the screen and the spund pans from L to C to R and you get this big change in sound rather than a smooth pan....YUCK.

5. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

I'd avoid the PDR-10. It goes low and has a lot of output, but it's a bit more of a boombox than most people realize.

I owned one for a little over three years and you can do better for the $$$. If you're buying new from a dealer, you're looking at around $300. For that money, the Dayton Titanic kit, for example, is a much better subwoofer. It's sealed, so it might not have quite the output of the PDR-10, but the bass will be quicker, tighter and much more "real," especially with music (and don't forget, most movies have a LOT of music in them).

I now have an Adire Rava, for which I paid $399, and it's night and day compared to the Paradigm.

If you're going used, you might look at one of the little Velodynes, CHT-8 I believe. Should be availabe for the $250 or so a used PDR-10 would cost you. Energy's subs are also reputed to be excellent for the $$$.