B&W LCR6 owners: Horizontal or vertical? On top or below screen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rin, Aug 10, 2001.

1. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

I have had my LCR6 for almost 2 years now and have always thought it did a great job as a center. I had it on top of my last three TV's laying down horizontally.
    I decided to try setting it up below the screen standing vertically just for the hell of it and was amazed at how much better it sounds. The only problem with this placement was that I had nothing to support the speaker in this position and couldn't really leave it there but it sounded so much better that way.
    I think this can be attributed to several reasons:
    1. The tweeter is more closely aligned horizontally with the tweeters in my main speakers.
    2. The LCR6 front baffle has an elliptical waveguide molded around the tweeter which disperses vertically when the speaker is on it's side and vice-versa. So the tweeter disperses more horizontally, giving a much wider sweet spot.
    3. When the speaker was on top of my TV it was a lot higher which caused reflections off the ceiling to smear dialogue etc.
    I finally found a speaker stand which suits my needs so the center is down below the screen for good now. I got it at IKEA for next to nothing. The only problem is that I had to buy two(sold in pairs only) and I have this other one collecting dust. Does anyone need a short speaker stand? Free of charge to an HTF member.
    Try this experiment and let me know if you notice an improvement.
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    So Cal Area HTF Movie night

2. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Speakers with a D'appolito configuration (ie mid/bass drivers on both sides of the center mounted tweeter) do have that characteristic, ie "channeling" the treble sound between the output of the mid/bass drivers. The main benefit from that is supposedly to help minimize reflections from the floor and ceiling and focus the treble vertically.
    That does kind of indicate that the vast majority of center channel speakers out there wind up with a more narrow sweet spot when placed on their sides rather than standing vertically.
    I have mine below the TV, mounted horizontally. It doesn't bother me since I sit in the exact sweet spot whenever I watch a movie, and I'm very happy with the sound of my LCR6. My mains are B&W 602's.
    I don't even want to try placing mine vertically, quite frankly. I'd hate to have to place it standing on the floor in front of my TV, just TOO ugly even for me. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

3. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I use an LCR6 mounted to the wall on a modified TV wall-mount above my RPTV. The wall mount was adjustable, so I have the tweeter perfectly aimed at my sitting position. My sweet spot includes my two recliners, so I have no problems with the limited horizontal dispersion of the LCR6's tweeter. I have no doubts it sounds better in the vertical position, but if I wanted to go that route I would sell my LCR6 and get a single 602 to use as a center!
    My $.02
    Pete

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My LCR6 is laying horizontal on top of the RPTV, and I use door stops to angle the speaker downwards towards ear level. There is no way my wife would let me place the speaker vertically in front of the TV. Anyway, it's usually just my wife and I watching, so we both get in the sweet spot.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 7

5. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

I have my LCR6 ontop of my TV in the horizontal position angled toward the sweet spot. I use it with 604 mains. I have the tweeter in the exact horizontal plane as the tweeters in the 604's. I believe B&W reccommends that this speaker be used vertical with two LCR6 for the mains with each speaker's tweeter in the same horizonral plane. I would place my LCR6 verticaly but I can not get the tweeter in the same horizontal plane as the tweeters in the 604's. The only way I could do this is to raise my TV above the height of the 604's, but that would be too high. One of the Kevlar drivers in the LCR6 plays lower frequencies than the other so this driver would most likely be in the same horizontal plane as the midrange driver in the 604's or 602's.