B&W in wall speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad_H, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Brad_H

Brad_H Agent

anyone using the B&W CCM65 or CCM80 in wall/ceiling speakers? if so, how are they and how would they compare to say a B&W 602 as surround speakers.

thanks
    Brad

2. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I'll keep your thread alive for the moment.

I'm using CWM800s for my surrounds and they're very nice for in-wall speakers. They make for a nice clean, elegant installation. They sound good and they're never in the way.

The negatives are enough that I'd avoid using in-wall speakers in the future. Obviously, they can't be easily moved, so when I decided that side wall mounting would have been better than the rear wall mounting which I had chosen, I was SOL. Likewise, toe-in is impossible with these.

I'll be set when I move to 7.1, though. I'll add on-wall speakers for the sides (probably NT series) and use the in walls for rear surrounds.

Sorry I can't offer any input on the models you're considering. They'd be hard pressed to compete with 602s. I've found it takes some creativity (WRT damping) to avoid rattling with in-wall speakers when they're producing any bass worth mentioning.

As I've implied above, give lots of thought to placement before you start cutting, as disappointment in this department can be a real heartbreaker.

3. Brad_H

Brad_H Agent

Thanks Jim.
    I guess I'm concerned because I've always heard that regardless of the quality of an in-wall/ceiling speaker you can't come close to the quality of a bookshelf etc. type speaker.

Brad

4. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I guess I'm concerned because I've always heard that regardless of the quality of an in-wall/ceiling speaker you can't come close to the quality of a bookshelf etc. type speaker.
    Yes and no! It all depends on how much you want to spend I am finding out that there are many speaker manufactures in the in wall/ceiling game. I just picked up some paradigm reference in walls and they sound great but It does matter where you place them and once they are there thats it, which kinda sucks for me cause I like to move stuff around some companys offer inwalls/ceiling with pivoting mechanisms which does help, also triads inwalls come with sealed enclosures which is like having bookshelves sorta[​IMG]
    Check out ht mag this months issues buyers guide they have an extensive list of inwall/ceiling speakers with prices
    Bob

5. Gregg Z

Gregg Z Stunt Coordinator

I've got a 7.1 setup with N805/HTM2/SCM1's for the primary 5 speakers and the CCM65's in-ceiling for the two center-back speakers. As far as in-wall/ceiling's go I feel they are better than average, but that probably isn't really a fair assessment given my other point of reference in the room is the Nautilus's.

My biggest complaint/goof is that I didn't realize that they would have a rather narrow dispersion pattern. If you are ceiling mounting these in an 8 foot ceiling, you really don't want to be more than 5 feet off-center on any of the speakers or the sound stage really diminishes. Angling the tweeters doesn't really help much. Due to ceiling circumstances outside of my control, in my installation, these speakers ended up about 10 feet back from my primary listening position. So, while they do help to fill in the back sound stage, I'm not really getting the optimal effect due to the narrow dispersion.

If you do choose to go with in-wall/ceiling speakers, buy them from a very knowledgeable shop that will help you assess your room and recommend a proper layout given the limitations of the speakers. Also, make sure you leave enough room in-wall/ceiling to build a baffle around the speakers. At best you'd like to get a 1 cubit foot enclosure around these, lightly packed with acousa-stuff polyfil.

6. Brad_H

Brad_H Agent

Thanks for the responses. I'm concerned because the room is being done for a firehouse, and the room is not the optimal layout/size for a hometheater. The room is 17' wide and 25' long...but the back wall is only 11' and the left wall is really a walk way/hallway with a lot of traffic. That's why we're considering ceiling mounts in the first place - because there's not a clear location for the left surround. We don't really want to do stands in the back because of the potential for the speakers to be damaged or knocked over...

I've always wondered about the dispersion pattern of ceiling speakers - thanks for the feedback Gregg.

Anymore feedback or thoughts are appreciated.

Brad