B&W floor standers (600 series) vs. CDM1NTs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob-N, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Hi all,

I wanted opinions on whether I should go with 600 series floorstanders or the CDM1NT. I have about $1000 burning a hole in my pocket and was wondering which would be a better purchase as mains for my system.

Background: My local HT store will be holding a demo/new sale tomorrow (unknown discounts and merchandise at this time). So having around $1k to spend, I decided to go with the above speakers (603/604's vs. CDM1NT) My listening habits are 75/25% movies/music. I currently have an LCR6 S2, pair of 602 S2s (will move to the rear) and an SVS 20-39PC w/upgraded driver hitting UPS today.

I'm going to be driving them with a Rotel RB985mkII 5ch/110W amp and eventually an Outlaw 950 or Anthem AVM20.

So I'm wondering about timbre matching my center and mains. I have listened to the CDM7NT fairly extensively and like them over the 600 series floorstanders.

I'll probably spend some "quality" time tomorrow before the sale to listen to the CDM1NTs to find out how I'd like them. I'm sure they're much different than the 7's.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bob

2. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

I think the CDM's are a better speaker but I am curious why you did not consider the CM series?

I felt these were a fantastic value for the money and upgraded my DM 602's to CM4's.

Good luck.

3. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Bob:

In a nutshell, the 60O's will have a fuller bass response, while the CDM1NT will have a more refined sound.

I personally would go with the CDM1NT, but my primary interest is music (98% music, 2% HT).

Larry

4. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Brian, I did demo CM4's and CM2's. To me, they didn't have the same "richness" as the 602's. But I agree, that they have a better mid and upper range. Maybe they would pair up well with my sub. At the time I listened to the CM's, I had the dealer add a ASW2000(?) sub to the mix and found that they still were a bit thin sounding. Also at the time, the CM's were out of my price range. CM4's can be in the running (at $1500MSRP) but I need to listen to them a bit more. I'll try again tomorrow with the CDM1's...thanks for the suggestion.
    Larry B, can you describe your definition of "refined" sound? Is that the same as "laid back", non-forward, warm?
    Thanks for the thoughts, keep them coming. [​IMG]

5. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Sounds like someone received an invite to SF Stereo demo sale.[​IMG]
    For what it's worth, here's my opinion. The CDMs are definitely a step up from the 600 series. If you can go that route for $1,000, that's the way you should go. It always makes sense to make quality speakers a priority in any system, music or HT. I don't know if you'll notice much difference between the 7NTs and the 1NTs when you consider the SVS is picking up most of the low end anyway. Now if you also plan on using your system for two-channel music without involving the sub, you'll definitely notice a difference and the 7NTs are the way to go.
    As far as matching the center channel, well, there will always be another demo sale down the road when you can snatch the CDM center.[​IMG]

6. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

[​IMG] Mark, ya got me. First one from SF Stereo. I've been to other private sales and have seen some great prices so I'm hoping for the same this time around. Bad timing on my part as I had already ploped down for the 602s about a month prior to those sales. I'm going in prepared this time!
    I'm not so critical with music as I only listen to a few CDs in detail. And in those cases, the SVS and 602's sound great when properly calibrated. Of course, take it with a grain of salt as I haven't done much auditioning of very high end equipment.
    With the CDM2NT's MSRP at $1200, even at 10% off, it's in my ballpark of $1k to spend. I'm hoping that a pair of 7's are available in the low $1k's or the 1's at $800-900. Those will be hard to pass up IF I'm so lucky.
    Nice thing about the CDMC, it's only $600 MSRP which makes it a good candidate for a later upgrade from my LCR6 which retails for only slightly less.
    Are you going and thanks for the advice.

7. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Bob:
    No, I'm not going. I'm all "demoed'' out. Actually, I cut myself a pretty good deal with SF Stereo in Mountain View for a Rotel RSP-976 pre/pro and a RMB-1075 5-channel amp last fall. Buying days are over for a while. At least, that's what the wife says.[​IMG]
    Good luck and let us know how you did!

8. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

go with the CDM1NT, also you might look to sell you LCR6 on ebay, people pay about 15-25% off retail on ebay, so you will get your $'s worth, but the LCR6 should match well with the CDM1s as well. Good luck

9. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Bob, does SF Stereo have a trade-up policy? If so, I would get the 603's for now. You may be very happy with them since movies(not music)is your primary source but if you feel like upgrading in the future, you could trade-in your mains and center and get the CDM series at that time.
    Personally, I would not buy from them if they do not have a trade-up policy, usually up to 1 year. I started with 602's, then went to 603's, moved 602's to rear, then from 603's to CDM7SE's, and now Nautilus 804's. Each time, I received full credit towards my next upgrade.
    The CDMNT line is a big upgrade on the 600 series but if you can't match at least your front 3 speakers, you may not be happy with the CDM's/LCR6S2 combo. Good luck! [​IMG]

10. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Mark, too bad. I understand being tapped out. I'll keep you guys posted. I'll post here late tomorrow or Thursday morning.

Rodney, yep, I agree. B&W sells well on Ebay. That's where I got the LCR6 although I didn't get a great deal on it (stoopid me, heat of passion purchase).

Frank, yep. SF stereo has a great upgrade policy. 1 yr on speakers AND electronics. The other local stores suck and only have 7 day upgrade (which corresponds to their return policy timeframe!?!?!). They also have a limited home demo program. If they have one in stock, they'll loan it out to you for a day or so.

I'm leaning towards the CDM1's for now with itching to get the 7's or 9's next year using the upgrade policy.

BTW, man the CDMC is huge and a bit on the homely side....

11. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Sounds great Bob, trade in the LCR6S2 and get the CDM center and you'll be set! [​IMG]

12. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

OK, I'll risk getting flamed to death.

I went with the 603s over the 1NTs. My primary use is music. For me (and yes it's subjective), I liked the lower end extension and the uniform presentation I got with the 603s. I also thought the 603 were (and still are) dollar for dollar a better deal than anything in the CDM lineup. To get the same range, you'll pay a truckload more money....I simply could not justify the expense, since the improvement seemed marginal to me.

13. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Steve, you're entitled to your opinion, no sweat.[​IMG]
    Having owned the 603S2's, I am familiar with their sound.
    I felt that the CDM line created a more realistic (soundstage)image than the 600 series. The 603's did output more low bass than the CDM7SE's I owned, but my Rel sub more than made up for it. Bottom line is everyone has different taste/expectations so don't be afraid to voice your opinion. [​IMG]

14. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

No flames from me. I wanted opinions so who am I to toss the flaming match?

Really what it comes down to is what's available. I don't think I'll be disappointed with either choice so any thoughts on the matter are definitely appreciated.

I also agree with Steve that the 600 series is the best value (IMHO) in the B&W line. That's why I started there. If I fall into money, yes, I'll look into the N800 series but I think that the CDM's are as far as I will go pricewise in the foreseeable future.

Bob

15. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I have all 600 series speakers, and have been pretty happy with them. The ONLY way I see my being able to upgrade them in the next few years is to fake a mid-life crisis. You know, look at shiny new convertibles, join the Hair Club for Men, and go out of my way to drive by the local high schools. My wife would probably upgrade my setup herself just to revert my attention back to HT!
    Wait a minute, that might just work! [​IMG]
    Pete

16. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Hey Pete, what's your speaker set up?
    I agree with everything except for trolling at the high schools. Been there, done that. LOL! [​IMG]

17. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

602S2's/LCR6/601S2's powered by a Marantz SR-8200. I was partially kidding about the middle age thing. I am 37 now, so I've got a few more years to plan!

Pete

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My feelings are similar to Pete's. I would love to step up to the higher B&W lines, but it would be really hard for me to justify the expense. Besides, I do still really enjoy the sound of the 600 Series -- I have 604S2 mains, 602S2 surrounds and LCR6 center. My next purchase will probably be another pair of 602S2's for the back surround channels -- I just need to convince my wife that two more back speakers will look okay in our family room. [​IMG]

19. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

And I'm trying to justify upgrading from 303's to 602's, seems to me that HT is basically sat and a sub, since the sub takes all the low end anyways. Although the 303's only go to 75Hz I may still hear the difference with the 602's.

I keep telling myself the 602's image better and provide more depth to the sound stage. Hopefully making them "disappear" more than my 303's do.

20. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Personally, I would not buy from them if they do not have a trade-up policy, usually up to 1 year. I started with 602's, then went to 603's, moved 602's to rear, then from 603's to CDM7SE's, and now Nautilus 804's."
    Frank and everyone else with series 2 B&Ws...
    In Alaska, I missed the boat. My local B&W b&m had a pair of 2 year old Nautilus 802s come in on a trade-in for Signature 800s. They were offering me a smoking deal on the 802s with a trade-in of my 604s2s. I drug my feet because I was taking my wife home for the holidays and when I came back, the dealer had caught wind of the series 3s. Now, I can still trade-in my 604s, but at a sifnificantly less amount of credit. I think more and more B&W dealers will make less and less trade-ins on the older series 2 models. They will be hard to get rid of considering the new 604s3s are $200 cheaper MSRP. Then again, everything I just said could turn out relevant to you guys living in the lower 48 states with more options and B&Ms to purchase your B&Ws from.
    I, too, prefer the sound of the 600 series to that of the CDM line. I love the CDM center channel, but for a couple of hundred more...you can buy the HTM-2. I am more of a music listener than HT...about 60/40. The 600 series speakers from B&W are very hard to beat sound-wise and if you can work a trade-in on a purchase for up to a year with 600s2 speakers, the Nautilus line is definitely the way to go. To me, being familiar with the Nautilus line...it seems like B&W cut some corners with the CDM line-up that take away from the sound. Obviously, they're not going to make their mid-level speakers outperform their champs. But if you have the money for the CDM line, you ALMOST have the money for the Nautilus line....[​IMG]
    Jeremy