B&W DS6 dipoles or DM602 for surrounds

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Kevin Thompson, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Any opinions on which is a better choice for surround speakers, B&W DM602 or the B&W DS2 dipoles?

I have on layaway a pair of DM602 bookshelf speakers to replace my DM601s, which I currently use for rear surround speakers. The plan was to move the DM601s to the surround back position. I just made the last payment, and then...

...I discovered a pair of open box--actually no box--DS6 dipole surround speakers on clearance. I thought to myself that since I know very little about dipoles, and do not really have a good way to do an a/b comparison, that I ought to seek the knowledge and experience of this forum.

Since the price of these two options is within $40 of each other, cost is not an issue.

The rest of my system consists of DM 603s in front, an LCR600 as center, the DM601s as rears, and an old JBL center channel in the back surround position.

The system is powered by a Sony STR-1080 Receiver. The room is approximately 20 x 15 feet.

I hooked up the DS6s this weekend, but didn't get to listen to them much. The sound did seem less localized in my unscientific listening test, but it almost seemed as if they were not putting out much sound. Of course, the system is not calibrated. (I have bought a sound pressure meter, but have yet to pick up a calibration disc)

I expect the 602s would produce a richer, fuller sound due to their larger drivers. On the other hand, I imagine the dipole design would offer advantages if I went with the DS6s. Decisions, decisions.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Kevin

2. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

I would stick with the DM602's. The dipole surround speakers seem purely to help fill in the back, or wherever, with just more sound. Their frequency response is only 85hz-8khz, which means you won't get much treble from the back.

3. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson Stunt Coordinator

Thank you, Jess.

After posting my question, I did what I should have done first. That is, search the forum for threads on this topic. Although it may be that the dipole design is great for cinema applications, that doesn't necessarily mean that this particular dipole speaker is better than this particular direct radiating alternative.

I also read that for multichannel music listening, the dipoles are not a good choice.

So I've decided to go with the 602s.

Another advantage is that if necessary, these could be used as main speakers in a second listening area, if I decided to go that route.