What's new

B&W DM603 vs Paradigm Reference Studio 60 (1 Viewer)

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to slowly rebuild my home theater setup (I've got Bose right now :b ) and I've narrowed my choices for new fronts to the following:

B&W DM603 S2 with LCR6 Center

or

Paradigm Reference Studio 60 with Studio CC Center.

Currently, the speakers will be powered by a Yamaha RXV595 amp, which I'm planning on upgrading at some point. I also plan on acquiring new rears and a SVS in the future, but it's hard to fundraise when you're in college.

I'd say I plan to use the system about 60% for HT, and 40% for music. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
The B&W's of course! No, really, You have two excellent sets picked out there, go with what YOU like! Both are quality products.

Good luck!

Pete

Nick G

Stunt Coordinator
Justin, both are good speakers, let your ears be the guide anb buy the ones that sound best to you. That being said, I have Studio 20s and love them for HT and music. Paradigms are generally a bit more foward than B&W and more foward is generally considered a good thing in HT. Really though you can not go wrong with either, both are great speakers. It is a personal preference situation.

Regards, Nick

Frank_K

Auditioning
First, keep in mind that speaker preferences are very subjective and personal, and you should not buy speakers based solely on the opinions of others.

For speakers, there is no substitute for auditioning them yourself.

That being said, I can offer my own observations when I was recently auditioning speakers for upgrading.

I was never personally impressed with B&W speakers (although MANY others are). I found them to sound colored and unnatural, especially throughout the midrange. I could never live with speakers like these.

The Paradigm 60's were on my short list for quite a while - they are excellent speakers, esp. for the price. But,...there was still something about them that rubbed me the wrong way but I couldn't pinpoint it.

Then I started listening to PSB speakers (Canadian-made, like Paradigm). I began with the Image series, very good speakers for the money, but not quite up to the Paradigm Studio 60's. Then I heard the PSB Stratus Gold - they had to be the best speakers I have heard to date - but too expensive for me, and would have required more amplification than I could afford to supply.

So I went down the PSB Stratus line to the Bronze - almost identical size and power requirements as the Paradigm 60, and very close to the Paradigm's sound as well, EXCEPT, it was (to me) more natural sounding.

So, I went with the PSB Stratus Bronze, and having lived with them for about a year now (they do take some time to open up), I am totally happy with them and my choice.

I added the Status center channel speaker (the C5, I think) and although a good speaker, I think that dialogue could be a little clearer.

Good luck and enjoy the search.

Frank

Mark Rich

Second Unit
I would go with the Paradigm.I switched from B&W to Paradigm ref series because of the Studio CC. I think they also have a better product mix for home theater. I would also second that you check out the PSB brand as an alternative. You cant go wrong with either especially with the current exchange rate which makes them a major bang for the buck!

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Right now, my new goal is to find some location in LA or San Diego where I could audition the 603's and the 60's in an AB situation, but I'm also interested in hearing the PSB's as well, given the positive experiences many of you seem to had with them.

Can anyone comment as to whether my current receiver will be enough to power the speakers I'm considering. As I said, I've got a Yamaha RXV595, which puts out something like 80Wx5 (I think).

Also, could anyone recommend some reputable dealers in either San Diego or Los Angeles?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks