What's new

B&W DM603 S3 versus JBL E90 (1 Viewer)

Willy_Loo

Auditioning
I'm starting up my HT system, and was wondering which would be a good pair of front speakers to complement the Yamaha RX-V2400? I've listened to several other manufacturers such as Totem, Energy, Sapphire. The B&Ws and the JBLs seem to appeal most to me in terms of sound and price tag (~$1k).

Any comments would be most welcome.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
B&W and Yamaha are heaven!!!! I think they work extremely well together!!!

However I would recommend that you steer away from the DM603 S3s... I would HIGHLY recommend the DM602 S3s, to me they are a much better speaker (proably due to driver sizes). The imaging and clarity over all is much better on the 602s. I would also say that honestly, the 603s don't go THAT much deeper than the 602s. Couple the 602s with a decent sub and there's no comparison...602s win hands down on every single thing.

If you can stretch out to about 1400 the 604s are equal with the 602s, but have the added low end extension. I opted for the 604s since I didn't have a subwoofer (at the time). Now that I have the SVS PC+ 20-39, I can NOT tell ANY difference between the 604s and the 602s. However you can tell a slight difference with the 603s.

Don't get me wrong, the 603s are a good speaker, but I think you are much better off going with the 602s or 604...and I think a lot of people that own the speakers will agree.

Joe Blech

Stunt Coordinator
I'm interested in these speakers, too. Why do the 603 sound different? Different tweeter? I thought that there was just one driver instead of two.

Alexey

Grip
Real Name
Alexey
I'm not sure why spend so much money.
My uncle just bought B&W speakers,
I couldn't find a place to order it online for him.
Personaly I think there are quite a few cheaper ones that just as good.

Drew_W

Screenwriter

I tend to think you're going about that backwards, but nevertheless...

Find a way to get both pairs home. Dealers will often loan you demos overnight so you can have a listen. Then and only then will you be able to truly decide.

Ben Stern

Stunt Coordinator
The B&Ws and the JBLs seem to appeal most to me in terms of sound and price tag (~$1k).

You answered your own question. These are the ones you need to listen to seriously and make a decision.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Willy,

I know I'm getting a little off path here. I have a Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver and the sound characteristics are pretty close to that of the RX-V2400. I was in a similar position as you about two months back.

In my case, I checked out lots of speakers - B&W, Klipsch, Athena, Paradigm and others. The speakers that I needed could not be laminated with black oak/ash veneers, but rather have a cherry finish to them.

In the end, I chose Polk RTi8 speakers for the front left/right sides and the CSi3 for the center. For my ears, the Polk speakers matched great to the Yamaha receiver. Making the decision was a tough one, because there were so many good qualities in the other speaker options for me.

I noticed that you mentioned Sapphire. I'm assuming that you have access to a Tweeter store where they are sold. If that is the case, you might want to check out the Polk RTi series which is also being sold at Tweeter.

Willy_Loo

Auditioning
Thanks for all your comments. After making 2 trips to separate dealers, I was still undecided. The B&Ws and JBLs are equally matched. B&Ws are more punchy and better at reproducing full-body music (like a whole orchestra playing at once). JBLs have a more natural sound and slightly better bass.

I could be happy with either, but I went with B&Ws. In fact, I'm even contemplating getting the JBLs as my rear. Any comments about front and rear speakers from differnt manufacturers?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Don't!

No matter how good they are, dissimilar loudspeakers will never sound alike. It took me a while to get matching loudspeakers (604's, 601's, a CC6), but do NOT underestimate how nice truley matched loudspeakers will sound.

The entire soundstage, front to back, side to side, with a matched set is a wonderful thing.

Now, don't get me wrong, ANY combination of speakers can sound nice, and many or us have various combos, and live with it quite well. But, to get to the next level, you really do want to get identical or matching speakers.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks