B&W DM602s3 vs. DM603s3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Hansson, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Todd Hansson

Todd Hansson Auditioning

Ive noticed a few people choosing DM602s3 over DM603s3. I'm curious to know why the Bookshelf speaker seems to be more popular than the floorstanding model. I'm looking at updating very soon. Am I wasting my money or is there another reason?

2. Kevin E

Kevin E Auditioning

IMO the 602s have a cleaner mid-range, the 603s just seem to sound a little muffled to me. I have the 604s as my mains and they are awesome. I also have the 602s as my surrounds and I couldn't be happier. Why the 602s sound better then the 603s I'm not sure, but IMO they just do.

Kevin

3. Todd Hansson

Todd Hansson Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Kevin. I'd love to upgrade to the 604's but budget does restrict me some what. I'm curious to know if you would recommend the 602's for the main.

Todd

4. Kevin E

Kevin E Auditioning

Todd
    I would recommend the 602s as mains. When I started seriously
    building my system a few years back, I started with the 602s as my mains and was very happy with them. When I moved on to
    home theater I had planned on just buying another set until I
    heard the 604s3. I do recommend some good stands with them and
    of course a sub. Good luck

Kevin

5. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    Todd,

I hope that you are having as much fun as I did over the past two weeks. I just went out a week ago and purchased my first Home Theater experience. I bought two pair of 602s3's as my fronts and rears and the lcr60 as my center. I also purhcased a sub from SVS, the 20-39pci. Man all I can say is that you will be pleased with the B&W's. The reason I didn't get the 603's is because I planned on using a seperate sub to pick up my lower frequencies. It just didn't make sense to me to spend more for the 603's when all I would be getting was the lower range, and it doesn't go as low as the SVS. You've got to love seperates!! I put my 602s3's on 24" stands and they look great!

Chris

6. Todd Hansson

Todd Hansson Auditioning

Hey Chris_ I think you've sold me on the 602s3. (Kevin made a good observation about the 603s being a 'little muffled'). I purchased a Velodyne subwoofer (10"- small living conditions) last year and have been amazed with the quality and difference it makes. I think you're right when you mentioned not spending more when the sub can produce the lower frequencies.

Cheers_Todd

P.S: Forgot to mention that I will also adding the centre LCR60 speaker to my collection.

7. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

I have a small listening room, around 11ft x 9ft so I decided to get 2 pairs of DM601 S3, an LCR60 S3, and an ASW 300 sub. It's perfect!!!

With a quality receiver, the 601's have punchy bass even with the sub-woofer set to OFF. But since I set all my speakers to SMALL, and my Marantz SR7200 has a 100Hz crossover, then it wouldn't matter that the 601 can only go as low as 60Hz and that the 602 can go down to 49Hz.

If I had a big room, I would have considered the 602. Most of the reviews I have seen on the 603 preferred the 602 because the bass was tighter. With the 603, it seemed boxy. So be sure to factor in the size of your room when deciding between the 602 and 603.

Enjoy!!!!

8. JohnThompson

JohnThompson Stunt Coordinator

John Thompson
    The 602's (and 604's) have the 180mm drivers that sound much more open than the 165mm driver in the 603. Just make sure you have a sub with the 602's if you play anything with deep bass.

9. Todd Hansson

Todd Hansson Auditioning

Thanks Myki + John for your feedback.
    Myki, you've probably guessed that I'm a novice in this area. If you have the time could you explain your comments about:
    "Marantz SR7200 has a 100Hz crossover, then it wouldn't matter that the 601 can only go as low as 60Hz and that the 602 can go down to 49Hz. "
    I have sent all my speakers to 'large', but the crossover etc... is where I start to get confused. :b

10. Myki Cantero

Actually, I'm a beginner myself, less than 5 months into this hobby.

With AV Receivers, you can set your speakers to LARGE or SMALL. Usually, you will set it to LARGE if your speaker is capable of producing really low frequencies (the booms). If you have bookshelves or satellites, then you can set it to SMALL, and it will then send the low frequencies (booms) to your subwoofer.

The crossover frequency is what the receiver will decide to transfer to the subwoofer. So in my case, since my receiver sends ALL sound that is lower than 100Hz to the sub, then it doesn't matter if I have the 601 or the 602.

So my 601 will handle frequencies from 100Hz - 22,000Hz
    And my ASW 300 sub will handle 24Hz to 100Hz.

Did that help a bit? :)

11. Todd Hansson

Todd Hansson Auditioning

You seem to know what you are talking about. Its all starting to make sense now. I've had my speaker set to 'Large' since I added my Sub. I will certain make the change later tonight to 'Small'!

Thanks again for the reply.

Cheers_Todd

12. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Setting the speakers to small is recommended for most setups, even systems with tower speakers. I have the 603s and my receiver is set to small. The 603s midrange is very clean with all speakers set to small. I think that the muffled sound mentioned above is from the low bass driver, which at this point, I am not particularly thrilled about. I much prefer the bass from my Adire Rava as compared to the bass from my 603s low bass driver. I have the series 2 and it is my understanding that the low bass has been improved upon for the series 3 although many have indicated that the sonic differences between series 2 & 3 are not that noticeable. The one distinct advantage of the 603 over the 602, IMO, is the larger enclosure which really opens things up.

13. Kris Keen

Kris Keen Agent

Don't judge the 603 S3 until they have had AT LEAST 500hours.

I cannot believe the difference my 603 S3's have made after such a run in... it just gets better. My 601 S2's opened up ALOT faster..

14. Arun_R

Arun_R Auditioning

On the topic of what to set the speakers on the reciever. I used to have my 602 s2 set to small and my velo ct100 handling the bass for about one year.

After I heard better sub woofers and speakers in 2 ch setup for music.I realised that my sub was not integrating well with the mains for music.However the boominess, though not optimal was OK for HT. So I set the mains and center to large and they can handle upto 50 Hz well and set the sub to 50 hz. This improved the 2 Ch performance and HT hasn't changed much.

I listen to a lot of music. Hope this helps.

15. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

anyone have a link to these B&W speakers? And how much do they cost per pair? ( the 602's and the 603's )

I have been in love with B&W's since the first day I heard them, plus they are beautiful, and I am hoping to purchase a set of them in the future.

16. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Here's the B&W link.

17. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

I've had a pair of 603's for my fronts for a year now and they are performing beautifully. Needed about a month to break them in. For the money I think they can't be beat. I added a pair of 601's and a CC-6 for HT about 5 months ago, and then added a small(1.7L) sealed sub with a Dayton 10" Titanic and a 250 watt amp. I listen to music 75% of the time. I have a big CD collection but have been buying DVD-Audio, SACD, and a few DTS discs and they are terrific. If you put the 603's on stands, go with steel tubes that can be sand or shot filled.

18. Myki Cantero

GarySI,

What do you meant my shot-filled stands?

Also, since you like collecting CDs, I suggest you also get hold of Sting's All This Time DVD. I highly recommend it. My 601-based system really sings with this DVD.

19. Nathan J

shot filled.....like buck shot.....adds wieght, same thing with sand.....

I have heard of people doing this with their subs to better couple them with the floor.

20. Nathan J

how much are the 602's per pair?