B&W DM602s3 or LCR600s3 for mains?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christian B.A., Feb 5, 2003.

1. Christian B.A.

Christian B.A. Auditioning

Planning on upgrading my stereo in the near future and will eventually be upgrading it to a HT system.

Been looking at the B&W DM602s3 or the LCR600s3 for mains.

Have a few questions I hope someone could help me with.

1. For music, will the LCR600 be better than the DM602 since it has 2 x 6.5" mid/bass woofers vs. the DM602s single 7" mid/bass woofer or will the DM602 be better since its built specifically for the purpose of playing music?

2. If the LCR600 is better at or equal to the DM602 when playing music will the fact that it can play louder without distortion and have a higher powerhandling make it worth it to invest the extra money in it instead of the DM6002?

3. Since im upgrading to HT some time in the future wouldnt it be a good thing to get 2 LCR600s now for mains since ill ill be able to add an extra LCR600 when upgrading to HT?

4. Will the LCR600 be better at reaching reference levels compared to the DM6002 and will it sound better at those levels due to it not distortion so easily as the DM602?

5.Am I totally without a clue or do I actually have a point when saying that if money was no object 3 LCR600s for fronts would be better both for music and HT than 2 DM602s/1 LCR600 or 3 DM602s for fronts?

6. Should I just go back and do some more research instead of asking stupid questions. [​IMG]

Christian B. Andersen

2. Christian B.A.

Just great, forgot a freaking h in my name......

Have to re-register. ugh.

Christian B. Andersen

3. Christian B.A.

This is bad. Cant re-register again with the same ip-address.

Could one of the mods please fix my name and add the missing h(if possible)? Or delete this account and let me re-register.

Christian B. Andersen

4. craig_d_can

craig_d_can Extra

I think you would be much better off going with the 602's. You will not only save quite a bit of money, but IMO, they are also better. The only disadvantage to the 602 is that it isn't shielded. You'll really have to go listen to see what you prefer. If it were me, I'd try to get 3 602's across the front, unless you really need a shielded center speaker. I used to have 3 602's across the front, and simply inverted the 602 and hung it about 10 inches above my TV.

5. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

Funny, I inverted my 602's as well. I was running them at all four corners and 600S2 up front. Now I'm running:

604S3 R/L
    600S2 Center
    602S2 rear.

The 602 is a great speaker regardless of price. It goes lower than the 600. So I prefer it's sound over the 600. But the 600 has more clarity which is nice for the dialog of a center. If you can afford the LCR600 for R/L, check out the 603 or even the 604.

Acoustics of the listening environment make a huge impact to this line so take that into account as well. See if you can work with a local shop to do an in-home tryout.

6. Gustavo Meira

Gustavo Meira Auditioning

and you have no problem with magnetic fields, having a center wich is not shielded?

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

A non-shielded center is only a problem on a direct view TV. On a RPTV it's not a problem to have a 602 center. Please see the thread "anyone actually DISLIKE a center channel speaker? " for a lengthy discussion on this issue.

My recommendation for Christian is that you go with three identical 602s up front. For the reasons and discourse, please see the aforementioned thread.

8. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

Here is my suggestion: 602 as L/R, but for center, step up and get CDM-CNT.

Reasons:
    1. 602 is an exceptional value. They are great for 2 ch music (you would still need bass enforcement from a sub). They also sound great in mutli-ch setup for HT as L/R.
    2. I would not pay much attention to the higher power handling of LCR600 (150W vs 120W).
    3. In HT setup, I think the most important speaker is the center - most of the program material is in them. I do not like woofer-tweeter-woofer arrangement much (or as in this case - midrange-tweeter-bass, is still worse) they neither sound natural nor have good off axis response.
    4. I also would not be very rigid about using the same speaker for all the fronts (L/C/R). I think they need to be of the same breed, should definitely match, but necessarily be the same.

But then again, these are my opinions. This exactly is my setup and I really enjoy it.