What's new

B&W DM602's, anyone got em? (1 Viewer)

Blaine_M

Second Unit
If so what do you think? I'm selling my old MB Quart Domain 30's and replacing them with this speaker, that's the plan anyway. I'm looking for more midrange than what the quarts produced. Looking at the specs they should blow away the quarts in the lower end midrange. Anyway, just looking for some opinions......

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Havent we talked before?

The 602s are great speakers - out of the box.

And they get even better after a good break-in period. I think the Kevlar fabric needs to "relax" and allow the stresses of the weave to equalize across the entire surface.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Maybe, I know I've talked some before, but I think it might have been about the 601's possibly. I am finally selling my old ones, so I'm ready to actually purchase my new ones now. My local store here is having a 15% off sale that ends Saturday if I can talk my wife into it, and depending on how much I get out of my old speakers.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
If/when I get these can I set my crossover on my stereo to 60hz, or should I leave it at 80?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
According to the B&W website the 602's are good down to 49Hz (+/- 3dB) so you could get away with setting crossover at 60Hz. But the best advice is to try it both ways and see which you like the best.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
Technically, your speakers should be able to cover 1 octave below the crossover, and the sub 1 octave above the crossover.

The 602s go down to 40Hz (at +/- 6db, which is "almost" flat). One octave above 40Hz is 80Hz (which just happens to be THX's recommended crossover freq). And on the same lines, your sub should be able to go (flat) one octave above 80Hz, which is 160Hz.

80Hz looks to be about perfect.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Thanks guys. I'm tempted to keep my eye open for a used pair that is an s2, that's what the rest of my speakers are.

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
I'm using B&W 602 S3's for my mains. Awesome speakers. Many say the 602's are the best speakers out of the 600 series and I agree. I highly recommend them. Here's my setup.

Center: B&W LCR600 S3
Mains: B&W DM602 S3
Sides: B&W DM601 S3
Rears: B&W DM600 S3

Click on the link in the sig to see some pics.

Sam Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Ive auditioned them. IMHO they are alright. I prefer the m22tis. The dm303 is surprisingly close, less bass and less detailed but surprisingly accurate.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
That's cool, I've currently got a CC6 S2 I think it is for my center, I've got the LM-1's for rears, mainly because of the way they mount on the wall. I figure either the S2 or S3 602's should go well with my CC6. I'm working on finding a used pair, if I can't find a used pair shortly I'll strongly consider buying a new pair Saturday at 15% off that my local dealer is having, which unfortunatley expires Saturday, so that doesn't give me much time.

Sam Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
i'd save up for some floorstanding b&ws. The 600 series bookshelves won't be that much of an improvement imho.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

No, the 602s (with the 7" drivers) are very strong in the mid-range, something the orig poster was looking for.

The 603s/604s only go lower (something a sood sub can take care of).

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I know the 602's are big, will they be too tall on 29 inch stands? I've got a pair of 29 inch lovan calibers I'd like to keep and use, when I measure that out it puts the tweeters just slightly above listening level. I guess I should probably see if my dealer will trade me for a pair of 24 inch stands? And yes, my sub can handle everything below what the 602's can do, as to whether or not it is a good sub or not, who knows!? That may be my next replacement, mine is an Energy either XL10 or EL10, something like that.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt highly that 5"s are really going to change the sound that much, as long as you can see the whole speaker from your listening position, you should be all good. I wouldn't even worry about trying to trade them in for 24" stands...

The 602s I think will make quite an impression on you...they have on me and they are my surround speakers. :)

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I checked them out yesterday at my local dealer, they sounded very good, although I'm betting they are not fully broken in yet(for some reason they weren't even hooked up when I got there). It's hard to compare them though to the Mirrage 590i bipolar speakers I'm borrowing right now. I'm in no hurry, I can use the Mirrage's as long as I want, but I'd like to get the sale price on the 602's if my wife will go for it. Seems like she makes the decision, not me! As far as the stands go, I was also concerned about the lenghth of my wire, where on the speaker is the terminal, bottom I hope.......

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Got the green light from my wife. I'll be picking them up tomorrow. What do you have to do to break in these speakers as I keep reading on the reviews for them, just use them? Or is there something special I should do?

Thanks for all your input!

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

A quick break-in usually entails facing the speakers toward each other (at close range), then running them out of phase in mono for a day or two.

Since your not a "reviewer" looking to test the speakers and then return them as quickly as possible, I would say just listen to them and dont bother with a "formal" break-in. After about 50 hours or so, you will say to yourself, "wow, these do sound smoother than when I first got them". Funny, it just sorta hits you.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Thanks, as long as there is nothing I can do to hurt them. Unfortunately I'll have to wait a week (they are currently out of stock on the black speakers), I'll go in and pay for them tomorrow to get the sale price, but they have to order a pair for me that won't be in until probably next Friday, bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks