B&W DM602 owners ... need sub help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill_Boston, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Bill_Boston

Bill_Boston Stunt Coordinator

With the help of this forum, I've pretty much decided on purchasing the B&W 600 Series 3 for my HT speaker upgrade:

L-R : DM602
    Center : LCR600
    Surrounds : DM600

I have also decided on upgrading to the Rotel RSX-1055 receiver.

My only outstanding issue is what subwoofer to match with this set-up. I understand that the SVS subs are GREAT and am considering them highly. I just wanted to get some other opinions of other subs that people have with this speaker configuration. Anyone have the Sunfire Tru Sub MKIV ??? I'm also considering this one ...

FYI ... I posted a message a day or two ago. I live in a 16x16 apartment with lofted (15 ft.) ceilings.

Comments/advice/recommendations ...

Thanks.

2. JayH

JayH Auditioning

I have a similar setup except that I have DM601's all the way around and the LCR600 center. I am using a Paradigm PDR-10 sub and I like it very much. When it is adjusted properly the sound is seamless with my B&W's. A big benefit is that it is pretty cheap too ($350?).

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I have a pair of 602 S2s and have used them with 3 subwoofers in a 16'x12'x8' room.

Klipsch KSW-12: Kinda sorta adequate. Fair performer at its price point. I've kept it for use in my second setup.

Hsu VTF-2: Very, very good. Fine performer for almost all uses until we get to the lowest of tones, then it rattles and strains a bit.

SVS 20-39PC: Very, very better. I've never bottomed it out (I only go for an accurate, authoritative sound, not bone-crushing levels) on any DVD or CD (including SACDs)

edit: Hmmm, apartment you say. You might go a long way toward peace in the neighborhood with a modest subwoofer and some type of tactile transducer (AKA bass shaker) arrangement.

4. TerryHub

TerryHub Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased (about 3 weeks ago) a pair of DM602 S3's and the LCR600. While I'm sure there are many great subs out there, I will share my experience with you.

I have an SVS 20-39 PC+ that replaced a Klipsch SW-12 about a month ago. All I can say is that I, and anyone that hears the setup, is absolutely FLOORED! This sub is so seemless with the front speakers that with your eyes closed you can't discern where any of the speakers are exactly located. The sub is delicate and clear at low volumes and will scare the crap out of you with the right material. My music listening is very diverse, everything from Jean Luc Ponty to Korn, everything sounds incredible. Home theater is indescribable. In other words, you would never, ever regret the SVS.

One comment on the B&W's. I've had B&W's for about eight years now. I have always considered them the perfect blend for clarity without being harsh with a great sound stage. They do not like all kinds of music, but with quality recordings, instruments, and melodies they are the best in the price range to me. When I first setup the 602's I really didn't like them. They sounded rather thick and heavy in the low midrange. With a little tweeking, I found that toeing in the speakers to my listening position and inserting the bungs thinned the lower midrange making them sound incredible. Now I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Good luck...

5. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

I have the 602's,601's. and LCR set up and I too love them. They will only get better when broken in. You could purchase a burn in disc from one of the highend sites. As for subs, I have the Dayton Titaninc 10" kit sub. It doesn't go down to sub-low, but it lets you know it's around. For music it's perfect, I used a bit of polyfill to lower it and tighten the bass. Transients are fast. I listened to the SVS at an friend's's house and did not like it. Then again he is into movies big time. Too boomy and slow for music. A sub should only add the lower add not stand out. Authorative may be good for movies but it makes for terrible musicality. For the $350, and your dimensions it should work fne. If you can go a bit higher try the Carver Jr or a true sub on ebay. Best bet is DIY. That is the route I am going for the next one.

6. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Even if you were to hear my setup, you may come to the same conclusion, but I'd be inclined to question placement and calibration of the subwoofer. When I first started to set up my SVS, I had the volume too high and it was too snug in the corner. It sounded as boomy and dull as could be. Careful calibration and gradually inching it out of the corner to an optimal *practical* placement made all the difference in the world. When I say authoritative, I mean to the point where kick drums and low organ notes sound realistic to me.

For movies, I make up for my "taming" of my SVS by running the LFE to a Buttkicker2 mounted beneath the floor.

Since getting the SVS, I've upgraded my front 3 speakers to N805s and a HTM2. I use the SVS' internal crossover and set my processor for "LARGE" mains. I think it sounds mm mm good for music and my HiFi dealer agrees, even though he wanted to sell me a different sub before I chose the SVS.

I may go to a REL sub at some point, but that's a whole different subwoofer budget. Such an upgrade would be partly due to cosmetics and a desirable connectivity feature rather than to dissatisfaction with my SVS' sound.

However, as to the original post, I wouldn't recommend anything more than a VTF-2 (plus a shaker or 2 of some kind) for apartment use, if that.

7. John Spicer

John Spicer Agent

Im running 603s3 for the fronts, 601s3 for the surrounds, and the 600s3 for my center. The sub is the smaller SVS and I love it. What a combination. Life is good !!

-- John