What's new

B & W DM601 S3 versus Boston VR-M50 (1 Viewer)

Nyle

Auditioning
Has anyone heard these speakers in the same room? I've played the same CD at each store, but can't make a good comparison. I know the store setting will be different than my home. My living room size is about 14 by 21 and I will not be using a base. I will be listening to mostly classical music. All opinions will be appreciated. Thanks everyone.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I compared the VR-M60s to B&W CM2s and went with the 60s (a close call, slightly better bass IMO with 60s, details and imaging too close to call for me). For rears I went with VR-M50s (though I haven't heard them at home yet, they're on backorder). I also listened to 600s S3, as possible rears paired with CM2s, and they matched well. According to specs, the CM2s roll of at F3 65hz, while the 60s roll off at F3 51hz, which probably explains the better bass that I heard. The 601s roll off at F3 60hz, the VR-M50s at 59hz, so the bass performance should be almost the same (as to the tone, that's for you to decide).

If classical music is your main listening pleasure, I suspect you'll find the B&Ws a bit more to your liking. For classical, I slightly prefered the CM2s to the 60s. However, over the broad palette of music I listen to, I found the 60s a better overall performer. Bottom line, I don't think you can go wrong with either speaker. Good luck and enjoy. Let us know which one you go with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks