B&W DM303, SVS, lacking mid-bass

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by John Meeks, Sep 11, 2006.

1. John Meeks

John Meeks Agent

Ok, I have a HT setup, with 4 B&W DM303's and the matching center channel, and an SVS sub (one of the older ones), but there really isn't any woofers anywhere. The sub works fine for the low frequencies, and the other speakers are good for what they do, but music just doesn't sound right.

Any suggestions to add a bit of mid-bass somehow? I could get a set of DM603's, but then it'd mismatch the rest of the system. If there were speakers with woofers in the DM300 range, I would have gotten those for the fronts.

The 603's are $1000 which is a bit more than I want to spend.

Is there such thing as stand-alone woofers? Should I get some small subs? Buy some 603's off eBay? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Where do you have your speakers crossed over to the sub? You might try crossing it a little higher and see if that helps.

3. John Meeks

John Meeks Agent

The speakers get their own channels, and the sub gets the LFE. I've tried setting the speakers to "small" which will send some of the bass to the LFE channel, but it doesn't seem to do much. It just doesn't have the "richness" that I've heard in other setups.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

What did those other systems consist of?

5. John Meeks

John Meeks Agent

Stuff I've heard in speaker stores... I don't know the specific speakers. Probly way out of my price range.

I like the B&W's because they're extremely detailed, but I wish the 300 line had something with woofers.

Using the sub for mid-bass just doesn't sound right for some reason. I can set it up that way, but it sounds awful.

My SVS sounds kind of muddy, too... I probly have the bass too high trying to compensate for the lack of mid-bass.

6. Alex/d

Alex/d Stunt Coordinator

What kind of reciver are you using to power those babies? [​IMG]

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Your speakers are -6db at 52Hz . . . you really NEED to run them as Small. If your crossover is currently set at 80Hz, try setting all the speakers to small and setting the crossover to 100Hz as this may (or may not) blend better with your speakers.

8. John Meeks

John Meeks Agent

Reciever is an Onkyo TX-DS696

I've tried using the crossover in the SVS, which goes as high as 160Hz, and I can hear the lower frequencies at that setting, but they don't integrate well with the other speakers.

Maybe one of these days I'll get a set of B&M 603's...

9. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

John,

with a Dolby Digital receiver you wouldn't use the x-over on the SVS, you'd use what is in the receiver. That is what Seth was talking about. Set those speakers to small, and recalibrate. Question: how have you calibrated this system? Also, have you checked your phase? If you are getting a lot of cancellation around the x-over point then that could come across as weak mid-bass.

-Robb

10. John Meeks

John Meeks Agent

Well, I wanted to buy a Radio Shack analog dB meter, but they don't make them any more. The only one they had was broken, and the guy said they're not getting any more. Are there any other ways to calibrate the system?

I've tried various settings on the phase, and some do sound better than others, I just left it on the setting that sounded best. The best setting seems to be about 10 o'clock on the dial.

I tried to get a guy to come and do ISV or whatever calibration, but he said all he could do is fix the TV if it wasn't working. He did show me how to get into service mode so I can align the colors, but nothing related to any sound. I think on this particular TV, you have to put a piece of tape over the blue lens because it's too bright, or something...

Also, the guy at the store where I bought the speakers said he'd help me do calibration, but he never did.

That was when I was living in Binghamton, too, where people generally do what they say they're going to. Now I'm in Middletown, where no one does anything right. I wouldn't be surprised if I went into the local pro-audio store and the guy tried to sell me white-van speakers.

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I was pretty sure they still made, or rather there was a newer version of, the analog SPL meter. SVS sells it as a bundle with Avia, but maybe you can contact them and see if they'll let you just order a meter (though Avia would be a good thing to have too if you don't...)

The midbass problem is most likely your speakers, but things like your particular room and/or the placement of the speakers, as well as your choice of crossover could be affecting the midbass as well.

12. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

John,

You really need to calibrate your current equipment before you think about buying new/more equipment. An SVS sub, B&W speakers, and an Onkyo receiver should sound very good. You can buy just the meter from SVS at:

https://svsound.com/store/index.cfm?...&Product_ID=64

I would recommend, though, you buy the Avia bundle:

https://svsound.com/store/index.cfm?...&Product_ID=66

Not only do you save a bit of money with the bundle, but Avia will include some instructions to help you out, as well as include tones to help you with any phase issues. Also, there are test patterns for your video.

-Robb

13. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Robb is correct, Home Theater Magazine proved that if you have two crossovers operating near each other (AV Rec & Subwoofer), example around 100 Hz, ... that scenario created a -10 dB or more dip / hole @ that 100 Hz crossover point.

Turning-off one of the crossovers brought back the frequency to a much more desired ± 3 dB crossover blend @ 100 Hz.

Phil

14. John Meeks

John Meeks Agent

I never had two crossovers on at the same time...

I think I got it working fairly well, I put the speaker on a pad so it's not shaking the floor as much, and I plugged the port, and it seems to be working much better. I think I need to mess with the accoustics of the room some more.