What's new

B&W DM303 not magnetically shielded? (1 Viewer)

EricE

Agent
I just heard these yesterday and was very impressed, but after reviewing them at the B&W website it appears that they're not magnetically shielded. Is this true? If so how close to my CRT computer monitor would they have to be to not get any interference with the picture?

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure the DM303 IS magnetically shielded. Five of these would be SUPERB for a budget HT system. I haven't heard a better speaker in this price range than the DM303.

Juan M

Stunt Coordinator
From B&W's website: The DM303 is a 2-way bookshelf speaker, equally at home with 2-channel stereo, as a front left/right or surround speaker in a home theatre installation, where magnetic shielding is not required.
I am in the planning stages of getting my first system together and these are at the top of my list to audition. Anybody heard the new ASW 300 sub? It's only 8", but it's supposed to go down into the high-20 Hz range...

EricE

Agent
Well I guess I did some more digging and found my answer for myself. They're not magnetic shielding, B&W says that for the smaller spakers like the 601, that you'd only need 20cm or about depending of course to your TV. I guess I better see what adjustments I can do to my configuration to see if this is going to be a problem.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Ask your dealer if they will shield them. I know my dealer will. I know I had the choice of shielded or not.

And I agree they sound great!

Juan M

Stunt Coordinator
I had a chance to audition some speakers today, including the DM303. It was the first time I've seriously listened to a set of "hi-fi" speakers. It was neat hearing the soundstage appear in front of me. The center image was so evident. I felt like my eyes and ears were not cooperating:D...was there a hidden third speaker?? :b
The B&Ws were very clear and had a decent amount of bass. So far so good. I A-B'd them with some Tannoy Mercurys: Mx1 and Mx2. The Tannoys were a little warmer. I think I preferred them but I'm not sure yet. I think I'd need to listen again. The B&W sounded more "open". Also listed to the Tannoy Revolution R1. This was a step up the model line. It gained back some of the detail the Mercurys lacked vs. the DM303 but the difference was not overwhelming to my novice ear.
All in all it was a very cool experience. I can't wait to listen to some more speakers;)

Real Name
JOHN RYAN GARCIA
hey eric!

i have 2 pairs of dm303 and an lcr3 to complete the set up. its true that they are not magnetically shielded except for the lcr 3. they are powered also by denon 1802. the perfect compliment. hope this helps.

EricE

Agent
Ryan, how far away from your TV/monitor are you finding that they need to be to not get any interference in the picture? I've got a 17" CRT computer monitor that will in between them, would you happen to also have a computer monitor that you can test how far away they need to be to be safe?

I take it you like your setup? I also have the Denon AVR-1802 so I'd love to hear on your impressions on this setup. Also what is your room size for them? Do you have a sub to go with them?

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
JOHN RYAN GARCIA
hey eric,

the ideal distance from your monitor to your 303's is .5 to 1 meter on each left and right speakers to have the center imaging effect and you have to atleast keep it away from the wall behind it about 12 inches to get the base out of them. im using direct projection tv, a 21 incher (goona be my next upgrade).

im still saving up for the subwoofer to finish the 5.1 set up. prices here in manila are a bit off the budget compared to you guys in the u.s.

i love my set-up right now, and to tell you honestly, even without a sub, these speakers can stand up at their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks