B&W CM4 - what do you think/know about them? With Marantz SR19EX (buying online?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by sasha, Jan 1, 2002.

1. sasha

sasha Extra

Hello,
    I've been listening and cross-comparing speakers for my first home theater setup. I think after auditing KEF Q's, Dynaudio Audience, Monitor Gold series, and B&W's I'm leaning to B&W's CM series (CM4 floorstanding) - not as high-harsh and much more bass than CDM1 NT, yet seems like amazing sound clarity and highs.
    What do you guys know/think about CMs? Any pointers to any _bad_ reviews? [​IMG] Also, what about the prices: dealers quote $1500 (MSRP?) on them, with a month-old returned pair available for $1350 ($500 center.).. should I be looking to get much off these prices?
    Also, I'm considering pairing them with a just-discontinued Marantz SR19EX. Between it and the new 8200, everyone tells me SR is more musical, better for stereo, and I won't have 7.1 anyway. Now, dealer quotes me $2000 on it, while I can find it online for $1500. How much danger (in terms of non-manufacturer-authorized - thus no warranty(?)) is there in buying Marantz from some online dealer?
    Thanks!
    -Sasha

2. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Hello, Sasha. Over the weekend my wife and I demo'd the CDM7NT (the floorstanding version of the CDM1NT) vs CM4. To us the CM4s were bright with the CDM7NTs being warmer. This goes to show that speaker preference is personal (if you thought the ND1NTs were too bright - granted, the CDM1NTs is a bookshelf vs. the CM4 floorstanding which has better bass response). We were able to get our CDM7NT at $300 off per pair, or $1700 for the pair, at SoundAdvice in Florida, but we thought the CM4s sounded great, too (we just wanted something a little warmer)

3. sasha

sasha Extra

I haven't compared CDM7NT to CM4... only CDM1NT. Perhaps a mistake, but I reckoned $2000 (before any possible discount) for the front pair, no matter how you look at it, just puts it out of my budget, period...
    Still trying to figure out what to do with the amp regarding buying it online... Random websites that have it cheaper (such as on yahoo shopping) talk about "drop shipping from dealers", and say dealers would honor warranty and arrange pickup for repairs; not sure what it means, who'll do the repairs (i.e. some non-Marantz-affiliated Joe?), and what'll happen if online site disappears in a year... Or should I not worry about Marantz'es breaking [​IMG] Anyone?