B&W CM Series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis Braddy, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Travis Braddy

Well, I'm seriously eyeing these speakers for my new setup... I went and demo'd them, they sound quite nice, they are smaller than the 604s I had before, to me, they seemed to have a nice, crisp sound to them, a little tighter than the 604S2. Where exactly do these speakers fit in the current line-up? A go-between for the 600 and CDM NT series?
    I currently have a Yamaha HTR5280 receiver, I'll eventually get something better, but I can't afford that right now. Will this be good enough to push them? It worked with the 604S2s, but they were really giving it a workout. That's the main reason I didn't re-consider the 604s at this point (or the CDM stuff), and the CM 4 is slimmer and a little shorter than the 604, which is a big plus for my small room.
    So, just to give an idea, here's what my setup should look like in a little while:
    B&W CM 4s (main)
    B&W CM 2s (surround)
    B&W CMC (center)
    SVS 25-31PC
    The CM 4s did lack a little on the very low end, when compared to the 604, but if the SVS is half as musical as everyone says it is, I'll be in good hands. Most of what I listen to isn't that bass-laden, and the crisper highs and mids were more than a fair trade-off.
    Anyways, just looking for comments or suggestions. I know I've been all over the place, from PSB to Infinity to B&W, but I think I will really fall in love with the combo listed above.

2. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Where exactly do these speakers fit in the current line-up? A go-between for the 600 and CDM NT series?"
    No Travis, they are exactly the same as the 600 series, component-wise. They use the same drivers, crossovers, binding posts, and sizes of enclosures. They do have a nicer finish, and for that, a higher dollar figure. The 4s that you mention are almost identical in performance to the 603s (if not...completely identical.). The 604s, as you know, I'm sure...have the extra bass driver, with a mid-bass, and mid-range.
    Performance wise...there is no difference than the 600 series.
    Jeremy

3. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

That was my understanding also. I have the 602's as mains with the SVS 20-29PC. Sounds awesome using a decent receiver. At the time, I borrowed a Sony V444ES and they sounded great.
    I think the difference you might be hearing is the difference in cabinet size and possibly the cabinet materials. I almost also went with the CM line but the 600's were on sale so it was hard to pass up and I didn't hear much difference to justify the $300 or so difference just for cabinetry.

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Actually, Travis, let me follow up my less-than-knowledgable previous post with this.
    The CM-4s use a 165mm Woven Kevlar midrange and a 165mm Aluminum cone for the bass.
    The 604s2 use a 180mm Woven Kevlar mid-range and 2 180mm paper/Kevlar bass cones...mid/bass and bass.
    So they do not use the exact same drivers in the mids and bass area. The tweeters are the same.
    I think more than performance they've gone to the aesthetic side of things. Better looking speakers, easier for the SAF [​IMG] The bland look of the 600 series has been modernized.
    Jeremy

5. Travis Braddy

The dealer said that B&W would be releasing the 600 S3 series in Europe in a couple of months, they have the same metal frame around the drivers as the CM, but they are all in the same old configurations, he didn't know when they'd come out here.
    Looks aren't that important, the slightly smaller size is good for me, and of course, I won't exactly complain about how they look. [​IMG] I think the CMC will also do better for me, with the 604 setup, I had the LCR6S2, it was a monster for such a small room (and it was one heck of a burden for my Toshiba 40H80's tiny top). It also had a strange, kinda lopsided sound, someone once said that was because of the driver layout, I'm sure if I were sitting farther away, I wouldn't have noticed it, but it got kinda annoying in dialog-heavy movies. It also weighs probably half of the LCR6.
    Anyways, they are all pretty much the perfect size for my room. They're a little taller than the 603, about 2 inches, but about 5 inches sorter than the 604. 2 or so inches narrower than both of them.

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

look into the cdm1nt (with a SVS sub) for the mains, the sound is much nicer than the 600 and cm line, just a thought.