What's new

B&W center speaker question (1 Viewer)

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I've currently got a CC6 for a center. It seems lately that it just doesn't have the volume output I would like when I turn movies up a little (not overly loud though). Anyway, will the larger current 600 series model be a drastic improvement, or is it not worth the upgrade?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I can't speak for the CC6, but the current models in that series are the LCR60 and the LCR600. Generally speaking, most people consider the LCR600 WELL worth the money over the LCR60. If you're going to go with a new one, I would go with the LCR600.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
My main speakers are the 602.5's. I opted for the LCR600 as my center as the center channel carries more information, and the better center is well worth the extra $$$. IMHO

See my Home Theater page for pictures.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
That's kind of what I thought. I just built a new tv stand and if I switch to the LCR600 I'll have to stand it up vertically in my stand under the TV, hopefully that still sound ok. I've got 602's for fronts, had LM-1's for rears but saw the Onix DPA's on sale for $250 and I couldn't resist those (well worth the $ by the way!).

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Blaine,

I'll offer a slightly different take on the question. I used to own a pait of 602's and when I went to audition centers I found that between the 600 and the then step up CDM CNT, that the CDM was actually a much better match for the 602s. As the others have said, a little extra money for the center is never a bad idea. The CDM line is discontinued but you could pick up a used one, or try the new 7 series replacement. I can't speak on how it matches directly, but CDM was a great tonal match for the 602s and I thought well worth the price over the 600. Just my 2 cents.

Of course I upgraded my mains and now don't even run a center channel, but that's a different story :)

Daniel

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Daniel,

I'm taking your advise, I'm currently in negotiations on a used CDM CNT, hopefully we can reach a deal and I'll give that speaker a whirl.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Blaine,

I'll have to agree with Daniel. If the CDM CNT is a better center than my LCR600, go for it. The LCR600 works well for me, on the other hand, I didn't know about the CDM CNT. If I had, I would have gone for it. I hope its timbre matches up with the 602's as well as my LCR600!!

BTW, I have three LM1's for surrounds...they work great also!!

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Alan,

I also had a pair of LM1's for rears. I was happy with them but I'd always wanted to try something different. I must say I like the new Onix surrounds I just bought a little better, but not much. I'd consider an LCR600, but there aren't as many for sale as the CNT's it seems.

Blaine

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it's been quite a while since I checked in on this thread. How did negotiations go on that CDM Blaine?

How ever it worked out I hope that you are enjoying the new speaker, because that's what this is really all about in the end.

dh

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I just got it yesterday, I got it for $375 and it is in mint condition. I only had time to try it out for about 30 minutes, but from what I could tell in that short time the voices sounded a lot better to me. I'll definitely be playing around with it some more tonight when I get home.

Daniel.Han

Stunt Coordinator
Nice price. I'm glad to hear you got it. I'll be interested to hear your impressions of it once you have a bit more time to listen to it.

dh

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I'll do that, hopefully tonight I'll have a good chance to evaluate it some more. I did callibrate it with the sound meter and avia last night and watched about 30 min more of another movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks