B&W CDM9NT VS Rocket RS750?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick TX, Oct 10, 2002.

1. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone compared these two? I've been looking at a TON of speakers lately. I have no front stage at the moment. I also have a pair of Rocket RS750's & an RSC200 "Bigfoot' center channel on order. I can't get a Rocket audition until maybe after November 2 (will be neat!) With the strike & backlogs, I have a BUNCH of time on my hands to "audition". I FINALLY heard a speaker that "moved me", in my price range. It was the B&W CDM9NT. The dealer actually used my same Yamaha (RX-V1) to drive it. It was WONDERFUL in 2 channel stereo. No hint of brightness at all, incredible midrange, a Nautilus tweeter that almost brought a tear to my eye! I know this sounds LAME, but I've looked at a TON of highly recommended speakers! None have done it for me yet, until these. My local dealer is willing to go $2500 for the pair and the center. Retail is $3,300.

I have already auditioned the following without being "moved". Bear in mind, these are my OPINIONS. Your results may vary, void where prohibited, batteries not included, action figure sold seperately.

PSB Stratus Silveri
    Pretty dang good, 4ohm though. BEAUTIFUL piano gloss finish. HIGH WAF!

Vienna Acoustics
    Expensive, but sound pretty decent. Sand anyone?

Paradigm Reference Studio 100's
    BASS & BIG. Powerful. NO WAF, or HAF for that matter.

KEF Q Series
    Didn't impress me.

Mirage OM-9's
    Ditto

Atlantic Technology (I forget the #)
    Ditto

Definitive - BP2004 & BP10
    NO MAS.

Boston VR975
    Half $ at Tweeter. No surprise.

Klipsch Reference
    LOUD, but NEVER AGAIN.

2. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Well I am assuming you live somewhat close to Austin.
    Meadowlark and Soliloquy are carried by Sound Mind Audio and they have packages that would work in your price range.
    Dynaudio Audience speakers at Audio Systems would be worth a listen. Ruark at Audio By Design could be a possibility as well.

I personally haven't heard either the Rockets or those B&W's. By the way who around here carries B&W anyhow?

I have JM Reynaud Offrandes, which are IMHO the best I have heard thus far, well except for these Sound Lab U-3s I heard at SMA but that is understandable. Anyhow if you want to hear this brand of speakers send me an email and we could set a time up for you to come over.

3. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

I have heard GREAT things about the Dynaudio, & spoke with Audio Systems today in fact on some PSB's. I live near New Braunfels & SA. I will do some research on those speakers as well. The B&W Dealer in Austin is the Home Theater Store on Burnet near Anderson. It SHOULD be called the vegas looking furniture store, cause that's what's most impressive there. I asked for a salesman today, to get a $ on the B&W's. He says the salesmen are busy, what do you need? I tell him I need a package discount. He tells me FLAT OUT "we don't have enough margin to discount these". LOL. Tell me no, but don't pi$$ on my leg & tell me it's raining!

4. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Never been to HTS, went once to Dallas location didn't notice B&W but didn't like vibe of store either. Besides if I am going to buy locally I at least want to support a true local business and not some national chain.

Not a fan of High Fidelity here in Austin either, proto-typical hi-end snobbery store on display there.

The other places are great though, Audio By Design, Sound Mind Audio, Audio By Design and Whetstone Audio. These places may not be able to discount their prices but they typically offer good trade-up programs and are just great guys to work with in general.

Was actually at Audio Systems yesterday inquiring about some cables and took the opportunity to listen to some Dyn Contour 1.3 SE driven by Audio Research gear. Left very unimpressed with sound, my Offrandes sounded far superior to those speakers for not much more in price. I have listened to the Audience 70's or 80's there and and absolutely loved the sound of them driven by Bel Canto gear. It was a good enough demo to nearly sway me into buying Dyns at the time.

BTW Listed those other choices because I have heard most of the stuff on your list and felt that the brands I mentioned offered better performance over those on your list. Oh and it sounds like you are a former Klipsch owner, same here and my thoughts exactly.

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Patrick, that is an AWESOME deal. My dad owns the CDM9NTs (I use to run the CDM7NTs, until I upraded to 804s), the 9s are GREAT speakers. You might be in a bit of a bind. I guess you need to look at it like this-what are the chances (after auditioning so many speakers so far) that the Rockets are going to have the same effect on you???

Good luck.

6. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

Also check out silverline audio sr17 which has the same characteristics as the Dynaudio 1.3se, but the silverline audio sr17 is cheaper retails at $2500 and more efficient, uses the dynaudio esotec tweeter and the 17w LQ driver. Others
    Used Coincident partial eclipse
    Epos
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ull&1038840216
    PSB stratus silveri

7. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

For $2500 you can probably get a PSB Stratus Goldi instead of the Silveri you auditioned. Also, Dynaudios don't really sound that good until you hit the Contour series(1 step up from its Audience series). I compared the Audience 80 with the Stratus Silveri and Goldi and wasn't impressed. I ended up with the Goldi, but I didn't audition the B&W CDM series since around here they're a bit above my budget. I've heard great things about them though.

8. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit