B&W CDM9NT - Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnKings, Nov 16, 2002.

1. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

I was listening to these speakers at a dealership the other day and I swear I can't hear what all the raving is about. I have Paradigm Studio 60's and I think they are just as detailed, image just as well and have even better bass response. Are my ears just not discriminating enough? Has anyone else listened to B&W CDMNT series speakers and been underwhelmed?

2. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

A speaker's best performance is only achieved through optimal positioning, associated equipment and the source quality used. Poor positioning can dramatically hinder bass performance and soundstage reproduction, while poor source material will make it hard to distinguish differences between two speakers. Have you listened to these two speakers in the same room with the same equipment and songs? Having said that, I have not heard those particular B&W's myself.

Cheers,
    Mike

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

4. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

John, Mike is correct there are many reasons why speakers may sound different. In my situation I listened to cdm7nts and 9s as well as the nautilus 804s and imo the cdms where very bright and fatiguing where the 804s were much smoother and defined. I ended up going with the paradigm studio 100s I thought the 804s were a little better in most areas except bass but when i saw the price of the 100s compared to the 804s it was clear to me that small increase in performance was not worth the extra money, now if the 803s or 802s were in that price range well thats a no brainier[​IMG]
    I have been extremely pleased with my paradigm setup thus far the center channel is fantastic I had the b&w htm2 on my tv for about two weeks, the paradigm is half the price and to me sounds just as good for a center channel!
    If your using the right gear you cant go wrong with most speaker out there it all comes down to what sounds best to the individual
    Bob

5. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I had the same experience with the CDM 9NT. I much prefer my Paradigm Monitor 9's again imaging is on par with a tad less depth and clarity in the midrange but huge difference in the low freq's. I think the Paradigms sound better for the money until you reach the B&W NATS which I love.

6. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

I recently listened to these a well, driven by a Pioneer Elite.
    I was not impressed either.
    Perhaps it was a set up issue, or a bad match with Pioneer?
    I really don't know.
    All I know is in my audition I was disappointed.
    Check out this read if you want to read more.
    5K speakers to match Denon 5803 - My journey, & opinions wanted.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=110798
    Todd

7. Ted Kim

Ted Kim Stunt Coordinator

I've listened to the CDM 9NT's in the store and was not too impressed with their setup. I used some of my own Cd's and thought that my own HT system sounded much better.

However, the store, Myer-Emco, was driving them with a Sony 500 DVD/SACD player feeding a Marantz SR-18 or 19 receiver. I was less than impressed using CD music and a couple concert DVD's as the judge. However, my HT system at that time had source components and amplification that are much more expensive than the stores and my loudspeakers were the original B&W 601's or B&W P4's, which are both much cheaper than the CDM 9NT's.

So the moral of the story is that setup and upstream electronics make a huge difference with B&W's. I find that B&W's, even the inexpensive ones, tend to sound much better with better upstream components. The inexpensive ones are balanced to sound pretty good with comparable electronics and have sufficient resolution to really improve with better electronics.