What's new

B&W CDM7, 7SE and 7NT. What's the difference? (1 Viewer)

I am looking to purchase a used pair of B&W CDM7 speakers, but am wondering if there is a big difference between the 7,7SE and 7NT models.

Can someone please explain?

Thanks

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
No, you would have to take the speaker apart and redo the whole thing. Real Nautilus tweaters are tapered like a jet turbine and are mounted on top of the enclosure or embedded (like the NT line, which is just below the Nautilus line).

I listened to some B&W CM6's this afternoon and was pretty impressed. Too bad there is only one dealer in all of Colorado carying them. No competition means no percentage off of full retail for me. A bummer. Some of these speaker and electronics lines are killing any and all retail competition.

Dan

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I would also bet that since the tweeters and midranges are different, the crossover design is different. So I would also say that you couldn't do a swap out of tweeters.

Bob

I can get hold of a pair of CDM7's (NOT 7NT's) for $800. Is this a good deal, and is there a major difference in audio quality that would make me pay twice as much for the 7NT's?

Thanks

Chris Muollo

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at some of the reviews for the 7NTs. Based on my research, most professional reviewers (take that for what it's worth)preferred the 7NTs over the older models. I purchased the 7NTs a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. Have you considered the CDM1NTs? Can be had used for $750-$850 on Audiogon. Sure...you're going to want to pair them with a sub, but I ended up doing that with the 7NTs as well.

Chris

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I think $800 is too high for the CDM 7s. That line goes back at least 5 years. If you're interested in used, go for the SEs or NTs. There's plenty of them out there. When B&W updated the CDM line, they had to modify the cabinet to accomodate the Nautilus tweeter. I'm not crazy about the look compared to the "bubble'' tweeter on the SEs. Of course, I'm biased because I own the CDM1 SEs. Great speakers, BTW.

Scott Mess

Auditioning
I have decided to pass in the CDM7's. I think that I am going to hold out and wait for a good deal on a pair of Nautilus 805's. I'm picking up a new Carver Knight Shadow Amp, so I think that going with a monitor speaker will work out ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks