B&W CDM question "matching"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Abe Morgan, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Abe Morgan

Abe Morgan Auditioning

If I was to purchase the CDM 7nt's for front speakers, would it make a difference if I did not purchase the center channel at the same time. (Maybe a couple months later) Are they made as matching sets? Also, how critical is it to stay with the same series of speakers for back surrounds?

Thanks,

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Abe:

Purchase the center channel when you can. Start with the main right and left and add as your bank account will allow. Some people use their television's built-in speakers as center channels. Most here would say it is important to match the three speakers across the front: R-C-L. I have the CDM SEs (predecessor to the CDM NTs) all across the front.

As for the surrounds, we have the B&W 601s for rears. They're great. I personally don't feel it's necessary to match all speakers. A friend of mine uses Polk speakers across the front and some cruddy Bose speakers for his rears and it sounds OK.

3. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

Don't worry about purchasing the center at the time you get your CDM 7s, although you might get the dealer to give you a better price if you do. Just try to match the series, i.e SEs with SEs, NTs with NTs. As far as surrounds, I would think the DM600 series would do fine. You just don't want to go with something with too different of a "voice", especially if you listen to much DVD-Audio or other multi-channel music.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Matching the rear speakers is much less critical because you aren't hearing them in the same plane. They're going to sound different even if you had 5 identical speakers.

Don't worry about getting the center at the same time. Center speakers are not "matched" because they're only sold individually.

L&R speakers are often matched, however.

5. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest getting the CDM CNT to go with the 7's. I have the CDM 9NT's, as well as the CDM CNT. It is important to have your front stage tonally matched. The rears are not critical, although some may disagree. I'm running B&W LM1's as surrounds, and am quite pleased. I listen to a BUNCH of 5.1 concerts as well. The blended front stage is really noticeable in these cases.