B&W CDM NT1 + stands for $1000. good deal or no?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Eric_Barkle, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Eric_Barkle

Eric_Barkle Extra

Hello all,

im curious if all the B&W fans out there think this is a good deal or not...1000$ + tax for a set of CDM NT1s (demos...no dings or scratches they were in super high end store) plus the matching B&W stands.

my current setup is cdm cnt center, 602s2 fronts, 601s2 rears...why do i have the cdm cnt center u ask? all the 600 series centers are poor imo. id really like to get timbre matching across the front, not sure if this is a good deal or not. especially since these speakers are on closeout and no longer available.

please advise, thanks in advance!

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Seems like a fair price to me, considering the high cost of the B&W stands.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

That sounds like a good deal with the way overpriced stands. The NT tweeter is a rather large upgrade over the 600 series, so you should easily notice the difference in the higher frequencies and as you say it will be a better match with your center.

I'd see if they will give you a better deal on just the speakers and get some other stands, unless you really like them.

DJ

4. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

sounds like a great deal, can you get me the same deal? i'm looking for 1NTs along with a CNT.

eric

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Keep in mind the 700 series is replacing(has already replaced) the CDMs, so dealers will be wanting to sell off the CDMs. Since the 1nts were a grand, i beleive, throwing in free stands sounds like a nice deal, but I wouldn't call it insanely good or anything.

I would still do it though, I like the CDMs WAY more than the 600 series.

I would do as david suggests, skip the stands, save a few hundred bucks, and buy stands elsewhere.

6. Eric_Barkle

Eric_Barkle Extra

good feedback guys, thanks. apparently these are the stands that bolt into the speakers...supposed to be alot better vs just resting them on top.

im very tempted...i know the 700 series replaces these but alot of ppl like the cdm nt series better.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

When I bought my 602 S3's along with the LCR 600 the best I could do was a free pair of stands. Not the nice ones you are looking at. How much did the CDM NT 1s go for? They are not listed over at Barrets or the reg B&W site.

8. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

MSRP was $1200.

DJ

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thanks David.. WEll then considering how B&W dealers mostly have a hard time with coming down in price any significant degree it sounds like a reasonable/good deal to me considering their shape and if you really want the stands.

10. reed

reed Auditioning

7 series is too expensive. is 1nt a stop production?

11. Eric_Barkle

Eric_Barkle Extra

12. RichardK

RichardK Second Unit

anyone have an old link to the CDM NT line with pricing?
    i was just browsing the B&W website and i noticed they dont have the CDMs on it anymore...i may go on a scavenger hunt to find some 7NTs...

thanks,
    Richard

13. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

A local dealer had some demo CDM 1NTs and a pair of matching stands for sale, so just out of curiosity from reading this thread (and boredome) tried to see how far i could get him down to. He came down to $850 w/ tax for the pair. The speakers were in perfect condition and the stands were new in the box. If i'd actually been interested in them i would have jumped on the deal (I have Divas and am very happy with them). I did also convince him to let me bring in my Diva 2.1s (I use them as surrounds) and do some comparrisons, so that could be interesting [​IMG]

14. Eric_Barkle

Eric_Barkle Extra

ack, so your dealer would go 850 w/ the b&w stands? hrmmm...maybe im not getting as good a deal as i thought. did u really have to haggle w/ him or not?

15. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Well we talked for around half an hour but not completely about the price... I told him upfront i wouldn't be walking out w/ them today but depending on how much i worked over the break i might be back. We talked about displays and he even talked briefly to a few other customers (i was able to answer a few of their questions that he wasn't [​IMG] ). Eventually I offered $800 (the price they were asking for just the speakers) including the stands and he countered w/ $850.

16. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

i just got an offer of $720 for just the speakers. i've since made up my mind against the b&w speakers and instead going with rockets. good luck, and just try some more hagling. the worst he can do is say no. my dad is one of the best bargainers i know because he goes into deals willing to go home empty handed and the dealers can sense it. he's been chased down in parking lots after having walked out after the salesman couldn't meet his offer, with the salesman finaling giving in. give it a try.

eric