What's new

B&W CDM NT Opinions? (1 Viewer)

Steven Pitonza

Auditioning
Hiya, I am new here so be gentle!

I have been auditioning B&W CDM series speakers, and really love their sound. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to whether for mostly home theater / some music listening which speaker would be most appropriate. I have an infinite baffle sub recently build for me which is amazingly fast to handle the low-end, so bass response is not an issue.

Any opinions? would the CDM 7nt be a waste of money compared to the 1nt? The dealer I might them from is giving me quite a good price, but no in-home demo is possible.

Would the 1nt lack some punch in the more visceral moments of an action movie?

The room is 24'*16'*7' and I have a front projector.

PS. This B&W setup:
CDM 7NT - Fronts
CDM CNT - Center
601 S3 - Side Surrounds
602 S3 - Rear Surrounds
Hiya, I am new here so be gentle!

I have been auditioning B&W CDM series speakers, and really love their sound. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion as to whether for mostly home theater / some music listening which speaker would be most appropriate. I have an infinite baffle sub recently build for me which is amazingly fast to handle the low-end, so bass response is not an issue.

Any opinions? would the CDM 7nt be a waste of money compared to the 1nt? The dealer I might them from is giving me quite a good price, but no in-home demo is possible.

Would the 1nt lack some punch in the more visceral moments of an action movie?

The room is 24'*16'*7' and I have a front projector.

PS. This B&W setup:
CDM 7NT - Fronts
CDM CNT - Center
601 S3 - Side Surrounds
602 S3 - Rear Surrounds

would cost the same as the Onix Rocket setup:

750 - Fronts
200 - Center
300 - Side Surrounds
550 - Rear Surrounds

Any opinions on their comparable worth too?

Thanks for your time!

Steven
Any opinions on their comparable sonic value
for Home Theater too?

Thanks for your time!

Steven

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Steven,
i heard the 1nts at the same time i was auditioning a set of Rocket 250s and 200 center.
i grudgingly had to admit i did like the sound of the 1nts better for 2 channel music (they seemed to have a little more air...a little wider dispersed soundstage, which i like) but they were also $1200 a pair compared to the same cost for all three of the rockets.
i haven't heard the 750 rockets, but from what i have seen, i think you will get a much better value for your money if you went with rockets.

i'd also recommend Ascend Acoustic cbm 170s. they aren't much to look at, but the sound, imo, is even sweeter than what i heard with the 1nts, with even more pronounced imaging, and a greater level of transparency.
these are just my opinions and YMMV, but when i first heard the ascends, the the sound of the 1nts were what i first thought of, until i quickly came to the conclusion, these were even better than what i had heard with the B&Ws.
that i was able to purchase an entire 5 speaker set with Hsu sub for the cost of a pair of 1nts alone, may have colored my opinion.

JayF

Stunt Coordinator
Steven-
I have the same basic B&W setup that you're looking at (except I have 1nts as my surrounds) and I've been really happy with it. I like the extra "punch" that the 7nts provide for movies, plus I think they're fantastic with music. If you have the $$ I'd go for it.
Jay

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my CDM 9NT's & CDM CNT for a little over a week now. I am LOVING them! Home Theater is an experience these days! In 2 channel they are sweet as all get out. I'm running them as small, using an SVS 2531PC+ for the LOW stuff. I may try & send the LFE to both, instead of the Sub only. I'm not sure though. They are great speakers indeed.:D

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
My setup is based on the CDM SEs, the predecessor to the NTs, but it's close enough.

I fell in love with the SEs and bought the 7 SEs for my front R/L, along with the matching CDM center. It was great. But once I added a sub to the system, the need for a floorstander evaporated. Why does my HT need full-range speakers when the majority of its use will be with a sub? I ended up selling the 7s and buying the CDM1 SEs. I still have them, still love them and I never noticed a difference between the floorstanders and the bookshelf versions.

Now, if you plan on using your HT for pure 2-channel listening, then floorstanders are the way to go (I'd recommend the 9s if that was the case). I have Nautilus 804s in a dedicated 2-channel setup, so I know how wonderful full-range speakers can be.

As for the Rockets, I don't know. I've never heard them. I only know that B&W CDMs are sweeeet!

Arron H

Second Unit
If you are ready to spend the $$ on the 7s but are also considering bookshelves, you should consider the N805s as well (same MSRP as the 7s). I have the 805s with an HTM2 center and 601 surrounds. I really love this setup. CDM speakers are exceptional and certainly would be a good choice but do yourself a favor and check out the 805s as well. I would listen to what Paul said about the Rockets. They appear to be a great value but in his side by side, The NTs were better.

Chauncey_G

Second Unit
Like Jay, I have the 7NT's as mains, the CNT as center and 1NT's as surrounds. I absolutely love them. They sound great and do an equally excellent job in HT and music applications.

With a sub, just the 1NT's would probably do you fine, but I prefer the sound of the 7NT's for my mains. When I listen to 2-channel music, I prefer the sound of the floorstanders, which is why I got the 7's.

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
I use to own the CDM7NTs, I recently upgraded to the 804s (only b/c I got an AWESOME deal on them) the 804s are a bit better, but not $1500 better, imho.

I still loved my cdm7's a great speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks