B&W CDM-9NT's vs Monitor Audio GR-20's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter $ Jay, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Peter $ Jay

Peter $ Jay Extra

I'm in the process of overhauling my HT system and plan to buy new speakers very shortly. Several other models are still possibilities, but I think I have it narrowed down to either the 9NT's or the GR-20's. These will be coupled to Denon electronics. My listening room measures 24 x 14 x 9 and leans toward being reflective. I consider myself a novice so please share your thoughts.

Thanks......Peter

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Peter:

What type of Denon equipment do you have? Some would say those B&Ws and Monitor Audios require superior (separate?) power. Tell us more about your system.

3. Peter $ Jay

Peter $ Jay Extra

Mark:

Thanks for your thoughts. I was planning to use a Denon AVR-4803 as the power source. What do you think? I realize that with respect to power, separates would be the better choice but I really like the overall flexibility offered by an AV receiver....especially since it will used mainly in a 5-channel configuration.

Regards....Peter

4. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I think you would do fine with the 4803 and either of those speakers. Of course, listening to them either in your home environment (the preferred way) or at a dealer using similar equipment is the best way to judge rather than listening to us rant about which speaker is best.

I recommend B&W, but that's my preference. Others will tell you Monitor Audio, others will say Paradigm etc. You are the best judge. Audition speakers using DVDs or CDs that you know, so you can judge which sounds best to your ears.

When you say you intend to use the speakers in a five-channel configuration, are you referring to DVD-Audio-SACD or Denon's 5-channel stereo mode? How do you break down your listening; in other words, how much will your system be used for HT versus music?

How you intend to listen to your system will affect recommendations. For instance, if you intend to use you system primarily for HT, I would recommend going with the B&W 7NTs rather than the 9s, and match them with a good sub.

My 2 cents. I'm sure others will offer their own opinions. Good luck.