What's new

B&W CDM-9NT vs Paradigm Studio 100 (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Has this been asked a million times already?
I had my mind set on the studio 100. I auditioned the 40's I liked them a lot. I currently Paradigm Monitor 7.
Problem is, yesterday, out of boredom I went and auditioned some B&W from the 600 series to the Nautilus 802 (the great looking one ;) ).
I litteraly fell in love with the accurate imaging and wiiiiide soundstage that the CDM 9NT's project. They were kooked to some Mcintosh gear. I would place these speakers on top of my list if it wasn't for one problem: They were excessively bright. My girlfriend complained about it after 30 secs, she she knows little about audio. I don't find myself listening to them for any significant amount of time.
My question is: Is there any chance it might be the source or the amp? These speakers, while way out of my price range, have everything I want (including looks) and I would work toward getting them if I could be somehow be sure that the excessive brightness was not normal. It is true that they were placed at less than a foot from the untreated back wall. Still, I have heard B&W described as bright...
The reason for the tile of this thread is that when I auditioned the Studio 40's (which are supposed to be as good as the 100's in the mids and highs), they certainly did not have that imaging and soundstage. Now we all know how different rooms can make a big differnece and blah blah blah but still, I don't think the 40's or 100's can project such a sounstage. I hope I am wrong, since the 100's are significantly cheaper up north...
Has anyone compared the two with the same equipement? What are were your impressions?
PS: i currently own a Denon 4802 and won't be upgrading or adding an amp for at least a year, probably more.
[EDIT] Crap! Admins, please move this thread :b
--
Holadem

Yogi

Screenwriter
They were kooked to some Mcintosh gear
In the same frying pan you mean:) Just kidding.
Personally I like B&W sound more than Paradigm (which I consider bright also) but that could be more subjective and can vary from one person to another. B&W mated with the right gear will sound phenominal. Amps like Classe and Proceed come to mind. This combo would just blow your mind with its smooth, holographic sound.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Well, before you close the thread, consider that the B&W's might have not been broken in yet. I found the same thing across the brand that at least 50 hours are needed to break in the speaker. I've had the 602's and now have the CDM1NTs and both needed some good break in times to smooth out the top (as well as balance the midrange) end.

I'm driving them with a Rotel 985mkII amp with the Outlaw 950 and the 1NTs sound really good now.

aaron.r

Grip
I just auditioned a pair of 9NTs this weekend, and they sounded fantastic... pretty neutral too, IMO (granted they were powered by some *really* nice Classe 2-ch h/w)

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Holedem, I went through the same scenario as you I thought the cdm's sounded nice too and very bright I thought brighter than the studio 100s Imo. I can tell you one thing the cdm's will not be able to handle the power the 100s can and no where near the base. With that said I listened to both speakers with a rotel 1095 amp, your denon is a warmer amp and should warm them up a bit. Aaron heard the b&ws through a classe amp that too is on the warm side. They are very nice sounding speakers but keep in mind if you like to really pound the music with clean beautiful bass the the studio 100s are the way to go:D Btw I power mine with a parasound 2205 amp and they sound wonderful:emoji_thumbsup:
Bob

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Holadem, If your really undecided and you would like to hear my system in a real world environment I would be glad to have you over for a listen, I live about 40mins from hartford!

Bob

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Room setup and acoustics make a huge, huge difference. If the speakers are not positioned correctly then you have no hope of getting a proper image. Acoustic treatments are frequently needed to absorb/diffuse reflections from walls.

FWIW, my Studio 40s image well outside of where they are placed (this is with a Denon 5700 receiver). The sound may not be to your liking but these speakers should definitely image well (if things are set up properly).

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Holadem,
I have auditioned the very same setup. I felt the N 802's lacked a soundstage when driven by a Denon 5800. I felt the 9nt's did fine. The n802's warmed up substantially when driven by a yamaha amp. I can imagine they would sound even better with a more upscale amplifier.
I fully intend to get the B & W setup. However the pricetag is pretty high especially considering that I feel I would need to add a quality 200WPC amplifier imediatly.
Perhaps a graphic equalizer and a good sub would help as well:D

RajeeK

Second Unit
Well it looks like Bob and I are going to have to duke it out. I auditioned the Studio 100's and 9NT's. They were both wonderful, but the 9NT's beat out the 100's IMO. I really liked their brite airy sound. Kinda like coming from heaven;) Ya, I agree their bass may not keep up with the 100's but I have them crossed over at 80Hz so even if I had 100's their bass capabilites would really go to waste. Well at least Bob and I can agree that the 49TX is the best receiver out there.....right Bob.:)

Bob Santos

Agent
I demoed the 9nt's, and the Studio 100's side by side in the same room, with the same equipment.
I prefered the sound of the B&W's over the Paradigm's.
At the same time I also auditioned the Dynaudio Audience 82's. Of the three I went with the Dynaudio's. They fit my tastes the best. It was nice to have all three setup where I could change between them on the fly at the touch of a button.

Bob Santos

Agent
Oh yeah... To answer your question about brightness.
They were hooked up to a warm sounding amp (B&K Ref7250)
I didnt find them to be overly bright sounding. The amp may have helped tone things down a bit though. I did prefer thier soundstage, and detail over the 100's.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
The store I bought my studio 100s also carries b&w, theil,jm labs and many more I sat and listened to many combos I thought the theils were amazing but I did not care for the looks of the speaker. I had pretty much decided on the b&w 804s and htm2 center and I said whats up with those paradigms? lets hear them! Im not saying the 100s are better than the 804s but they are not far off and at a $1500 difference. B&Ws are a bit overpriced imo. Paradigm has a big following around here as well as B&W. The cdm line and studio line are both great speakers I chose the 100s because to me they impressed me more but thats jmo, some one else could say the same thing about the cdms:D I can tell you one thing every time someone comes over and gets run through the paces with demos is blown away:wink: more importantly I am too! Btw theres a thread on htf recently a guy has two setups b&w nautilus and studio 100s and I asked him the differences he said It was very hard to pick out the differences and the 100s were a great speaker for the money! maybe some one will remember this thread and put a link here.
Bob

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
bob, if you are looking for a B&W 800 series for less $$$ just get the CDM9NTs, seriously the speakers are very very similar. So when you say they are overpriced, it is just like anything else, this statement of yours defines in perfectly "but they are not far off", you always get to a point were you pay a lot of $$$ to smaller incriments of performance (called "law of diminishing returns") we all just hit that certain point at different spots (then we upgrade sooner or later-tic). There was a point a few months ago that I thought the CDM7NTs were "good enough" for me and were very close to the 804s, yet that damn upgrade bug found its way into my bad again and got me right in the butt, now I have 804s on the way (are they worth $1600 more (probably NOT) but it depends on your other gear, budget and preference (and how many times you get bit). Now I am sure the 804s are "good enough for me" (that is until I get bit again and win the loto, then I will get 802s, well probably not).

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
Consider the PSB Stratus Silveri and Goldi too. I auditioned speakers from the Paradigm Reference Studio, PSB Stratus and Dynaudio Audience series, all comparatively priced, and prefered the PSB quite a bit more. Better imaging, wider soundstage and clearer sound.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I'll add a bit here about the Studio 100's. When I auditioned the 100's and then listened to a pair of $7,500 speakers whose brand name at the moment escapes me, I went home and asked myself this question. They do sound sound better then the Studio's but:

Is there a $5,000 difference between the two? My answer was hell no. All of these selections and suggestions are great choices. I think you have to look at the cost versus performance and what appeals to you.

Then I went to another dealer and I listend to a pair of Revel speakers that were available at 2K. Again, I forget the model number because time has lapsed, but IMO, they did not compare to the Studio's in sound quality on an equal cost basis.

If you like a speaker other then the Paradigm and the price difference is not that great, then buy the other brand. If the difference in cost is large and they are comparable and you prefer the Studio's, then it's a no brainer.

I'm not a brand loyal kind of guy. It only goes as far as my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks