B&W CDM 9 or 7NT, Vienna Acoustics Mozart, Dynaudio Audience 82 or...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Leo_P, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

What other speakers would you recommend I consider in this range ($2000-2500)?
    I've got a pair of Axiom M40's right now, they're good but I'm looking for better. I'm looking to get a really nice center, in the near future, with whatever mains I end up getting, so that'll have a bearing on my choice.
    TIA.

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Try anything you can get your ears on.

3. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of V.A. Mozarts and absolutely love'em. They're a very smooth speaker with the best reproduction of vocals I've ever heard. They can be listened to for hours without the slightest fatigue and that's saying a lot since most of my recordings (rock) are brightly mixed.

I'll be mating them with the Maestro center in my music/ht system. I hooked up the Maestro temporarily and it sounded absolutely great with music on it's own. When thrown in with the Mozarts it provided a solid, DEEP, and wide soundstage in my room.

Associated equip:
    Rotel RSP-1066 Pre/Pro
    Rotel RMB-1075 Power
    Rega Planet 2000 CD Player
    Panasonic DVD-RP32S DVD Player

Good Luck!
    Bill

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree on the Motzarts. Deceptively small for the sound they produce, and they are certainly smooth. I prefer the more crisp sound of the tweeters on the CDMs though.
    Others you might want to listen to: Sonus Faber, Aerial and Theil. How about Paradigm Studios?

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I would say, in your price range, stay away from the B&W's. I have heard the Mozarts and Dynaudios side by side, the dyne's I heard were the Countour 1.3 MK II, 1.3 SE and the 1.8 Mk II, and all three Countour lines were more to my liking. I thought they just sounded a little more neutral without losing fullness and smoothness. BUt as a previous poster said, try to demo as much as possible. You Might also want to check out the AAD's. I have a set of the 2001's, and they are they are the best bookshelves under about $3500-$4000 retail that I have ever heard. Didnt do a side by side with them and the Dynaudio 1.3 SE's, but I think they would stack up damn well.

6. Leo_P

Leo_P Second Unit

Thanks for all the replies!
    I got a LOT of homework ahead. It's tough but someone's gotta do it![​IMG]
    Bill, it's nice to see the V.A. Mozarts work nicely with the Rotel RMB-1075, 'cause that's what I have. How do you like the RSP-1066?
    John, I'll definitely look at the brands you recommended, especially Paradigm (I kinda forgot about them).:b It looks like I should be able to get a pair of Studio 100's in my price range.
    chung, I'm looking at getting towers. Those Dynaudio 1.8 MkII's are some nice looking speakers, how much do they cost?
    Later.

7. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

go listen!!!! I prefer B&Ws, but the dyns are a very very good speaker as well and a more laid back smooth sound. Everybody has different tastes, have fun!!!

8. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

9. Anny Chien

Anny Chien Agent

Silverline Audio Sonatina
    Silverline Audio SR-17
    B&W N804
    B&W N805
    Dynaudio 1.3se
    Sonus Faber grand piano home

10. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

Leo,

I like the 1066 so far but I haven't had a chance to use it in a HT setting as my room isn't finished yet. For now, the combo's up in my (soon to be gone) 2-ch room where they replaced a Musical Fidelity A3. I've been impressed so far with their ability with music. I don't have a sub hooked up yet (I feel the Mozarts don't need one with music) so I'm not sure about the double bass issue everyone's discovered. There's a HUGE thread on this forum, the longest thread I've ever seen dedicated to a piece of gear, that's got loads of info from users that've had their 1066 much longer.

Bill

11. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

May I ask what you find lacking in the Axiom's?

And what kind speaker are you looking for?
    What properties do you value the most in a speaker's abilities?
    What music do you listen to primarily?
    With this knowledge, we could possibly suggest some more out of the ordinary speaker finds.

Of those three choices, I have always enjoyed the Dynaudio speakers models that I have listened to. One of favorite demos ever heard in an audio store was Dyn Aud 80's hooked up to an all Bel Canto system with Nordost cabling.

Vienna Acoustics Mozarts were an easy listen but seemed to have too thick a veil over the music.

Persnoally not a fan of B&W.

12. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Paradigm Reference Studio 100s and PSB Stratus Goldi's should also be on your audition list. Also, if its possible to get an audition, perhaps the new Onix Rockets.