B&W CC-6 to LCR6-S2 center upgrade

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Herrod, Dec 14, 2002.

1. James Herrod

James Herrod Stunt Coordinator

Looks like I'm going to step up to the LCR6-S2, based on some things I've read about it being a superior center to the CC-6. Now supposedly one of the benefits is the fact that it can handle a little more bass than the CC-6. I'm wondering, since I have my bass management set to small for my whole array, if it would really be worth it to upgrade since the bass output is going to the sub. The guy at the local A/V store told me that I should actually have my speakers set to large (I'm running B&W 602s in the front and 601s in the back). I'm a little skeptical of that. Anyway, I'd just like to get some opinions on whether or not this would be a worthwhile upgrade with the setup I have now. Thanks a million. Jim

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Never large unless your sub is tiny and your mains are gigantic.

The LCR-6 has a much better overall sound than the CC-6, which tends to sound muffled/boxy. The only problem with it is the horizontal dispersion is only wide when it's placed vertically. If you sit dead center it's ok though.

3. James Herrod

The sub is an 8" Yamaha SW-2, about 4 years old. Nothing fancy, but it seems to be a fairly decent powered sub. Interesting point on the horizontal dispersion. I wonder if the CC-6 also suffers from this. Thanks. Jim

4. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

Ned,
    Does the series 3 LCR-60 and LCR-600 have the same problem? I had heard the series 2 did, but I haven't listened to the newer series yet. The tweeter housing looks more symmetrical on the series 3.

5. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Here's the specs from B+W's site.
    Dispersion Description: Within 2dB of response on reference axis
    Horizontal: over 40° arc
    Vertical: over 20° arc
    The old version was 40/10 so either they improved it (a little) or they changed the specs.
    The tweeter design still looks like it's made for vertical positioning.
    http://www.bwspeakers.com/images/Spe...00_S3/main.jpg

6. Gary_Z

Gary_Z Auditioning

I started with the CC6 and the 601's. I thought the voices sounded muffled out of the CC6, almost like they were speaking from behind a heavy curtain. I took it back and got the LCR6, which I immeditaly noticed a big impovement. Male voices were chestier, gun shots had oomph.. but a few nights later I had people over and was sitting off axis, big difference there. I ended up going drastic and taking all 3 speakers back and splurging and getting the N805's with the HTM2. I really liked everything about the LCR6 except its off axis performance. I thought it was the best center for the money I had heard.

7. James Herrod

Some of our viewing positions in the room will be a little off-axis. Anybody know if the next step up (I guess it is the LCR60) has the same off-axis issues?