B&W ASW CDM Subwoofer??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miguel Stanic, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Miguel Stanic

Miguel Stanic Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking at replacing my current B&W ASW 2000 sub.

Does anybody own the newer B&W ASW CDM sub? It looks like B&W has redefined their sub line and I'm looking to see how this will stack up against my current model and the current SVS and HSU subs that are so highly praised on these forums. The B&W has a 1000 watt amp designed by Philips I believe. That's a ton of power but will it be as convincing as the base from the SVS and HSU line of subs.

I can't find any reviews on this B&W sub.

2. KevinCa

KevinCa Auditioning

I don't think the B&W will be able to compete with SVS, and i don't think thats what B&W had in mind when creating it [​IMG]
    SVS is just a different league of subwoofer, kinda a market on it's own.
    I must admit i haven't heard SVS yet because it's encredibly expensive to get one in Europe, you end up paying around $1400 for a $750 sub because of the immense shipping charges and import taxes.
    I hope that someday SVS will have a european sales point, so we too can enjoy the bass authority [​IMG]
    Enough ranting, back to the B&W now.
    I own an ASW-650, very good subwoofer but don't expect to get 120 dB @ 20 Hz or so. It's just not designed to play at that kind of level.
    It produces very clean and accurate bass though, and i assume so does the ASW-CDM which is basically the same thing but with 1000W instead of 200W (different woofer too i guess).
    If you want to know stuff like SPL or other technical specs for the ASW-CDM, just mail B&W and ask them, they're very helpful (and fast).

3. Miguel Stanic

Miguel Stanic Stunt Coordinator

Thanks KevinCa.

I went to hear the B&W ASW CDM sub and was terribly disappointed. In the bedroom scene from The Haunting, the sub bottomed out and the 12 inch cone rattled like it was busted...just horrible.

In all fairness to the sub, the room was full of resonance and the setup was way off I'm sure. Needless to say, I was not impressed whatsoever and it's a really small looking box.

It will definitely be an SVS PC+ 20-39 sub for me or maybe the HSU VTF-3.

4. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

I think the new B&W line is more suited for music than for movies. The've replaced their Ported ASW-1000, 2000 and 3000 subs with the new sealed series, and they just don't go very low because of their small enclosures.

That said, the ASW-CDM has a powerful amp to compensate for these deficiencies (small box, sealed).