What's new

B&W AS-1 sub (1 Viewer)

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody heard this unit? It's small (6.5", 85w), but I live in an apartment. The web site lists it at $250. The other unit I've been looking at is the Sony SA-WM40, which is larger and a quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I picked up the little B&W last week. It replaces a Sony SA-WM20 in my bedroom (music only) stereo. It is much better for music than the little Sony. For my needs, I love it.

Neither of these little subs has much punch for HT, but that's not a surprise, considering the size and price (and the fact that I'm spoiled by my SVS 20-39PC)

Two shortcomings of the B&W are that it lacks a variable crossover and has spring clip connectors. I suppose the explanation for the fixed crossover would be the fact that this sub is specifically intended for use with the B&W Leisure Monitors.

I would expect that the SA-WM40 would play louder than the AS-1, but I'd be surprised if the AS-1 isn't much "cleaner" sounding.

If music is a priority and loud bass isn't required, the AS-1 is good for low to moderate levels. Beyond that, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guy's. I will probably go with the Sony. I'll just have to turn it down if it shakes too much loose in the apartment below me. :D
Most of my music listening is with headphones, so I can listen at the volume I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks