B&W AS-1 sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry AZ, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

Anybody heard this unit? It's small (6.5", 85w), but I live in an apartment. The web site lists it at $250. The other unit I've been looking at is the Sony SA-WM40, which is larger and a quite a bit cheaper.

Thanks.

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Never heard of the BW Jerry,
    But look around
    www.onecall.com
    They usually have some closeouts

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I picked up the little B&W last week. It replaces a Sony SA-WM20 in my bedroom (music only) stereo. It is much better for music than the little Sony. For my needs, I love it.

Neither of these little subs has much punch for HT, but that's not a surprise, considering the size and price (and the fact that I'm spoiled by my SVS 20-39PC)

Two shortcomings of the B&W are that it lacks a variable crossover and has spring clip connectors. I suppose the explanation for the fixed crossover would be the fact that this sub is specifically intended for use with the B&W Leisure Monitors.

I would expect that the SA-WM40 would play louder than the AS-1, but I'd be surprised if the AS-1 isn't much "cleaner" sounding.

If music is a priority and loud bass isn't required, the AS-1 is good for low to moderate levels. Beyond that, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

4. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies guy's. I will probably go with the Sony. I'll just have to turn it down if it shakes too much loose in the apartment below me. [​IMG]
    Most of my music listening is with headphones, so I can listen at the volume I like.