B&W and Spade connectors

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark Danner, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

I am hooking up my new B&W 600 series speakers and bought some spade connectors. Can the spades go between the gold washer and the gold links that connect the 2 binding posts together? The post is too wide for the spades to connect between the washer and the screw on cap. I am just not sure if its bad for the spade connector to be touching that gold link that is connecting the 2 binding posts (the one that you remove is you biwire).

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd say, use bananas.

There is no reason for the spade not to contacact the jumper, since the jumper is there to transmit the signal. Just make sure they don't touch each other (+ and -) and short out.

I'd highly recommend swapping the cheezy jumpers out with a short piece of the same wire you are using for the speakers.

3. zangler

zangler Extra

would there really be that much of a diff? i have the same thing going...

4. John Garcia

John
    I certainly will not claim a night and day difference, but there was a noticable difference with my Mordaunt Short 902s. The problem with most of these jumpers is that they are typically brass not copper, so they will impart a slight coloration to the sound, vs wire IMO. Cutting an extra 1-2 in of wire from your speaker wires (if they are not pre-made) is an inexpensive and simple thing to try. If you don't hear a difference, put the jumpers back.

5. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

>>I'd highly recommend swapping the cheezy jumpers out with a short piece of the same wire you are using for the speakers.

Ha, I thought I was the only nut that did that.
    Mark, for the theoritical best connection (least impedence mismatch), just strip the wire about two inches and it can then span both of the binding posts & you can remove that brass jumper. Works on my 600 series. Just make sure to connect one wire to both negatives (black) and one wire to both positives (red).

If you're not a audio purist, just hook up the spades and use the included jumpers. Don't worry if the spade touches the jumpers.

6. John Garcia

John