B&W 805 and 804 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i now run an Onkyo 595 and am seriously considering adding a pair of 805's and a pair of 804's plus the center to match...i know the Onkyo won't cut it at all power-wise. [​IMG] i'm also thinking of adding a Denon 3802 to replace the 595. will the 3802 be enough to power those beautiful speakers? or will i have to buy a separate 5-channel amp to get the sound i want? i'm still debating on four 805's + center or two 804's and two 805's for surrounds + center. question remains: will i have enough juice??

2. Andrew Chan

Andrew Chan Auditioning

I am sorry to tell you the truth but the B&W N804 or 805 are so revealing speakers that you will hate yourself for pairing them up with either the Onkyo or the Denon.

From my personal experience, the pre/pro section of neither the Denon or Onkyo is good enough for the Nautlius line even if you get a separate 5 channel amp to drive them. This would be an ideal temporary step though if you plan on eventually getting a pre/pro.

804 vs 805 issue, the price is really the close once you factor in the dedicated stands for the 805. My recommendation is for you to hear the 805 and 804 in a stereo situation to see which satisifes you. If the 805 is good enough in a stereo setting for your type of music, I will do 4 805 plus the matching center..

Hope this helps.

3. Derrick G

Derrick G Stunt Coordinator

Andrew's right, you will never hear the full potential without a high quality processor. As for the 804 or the all 805 setup, it would depend on what your listening habits are. If you listen to very little stereo music the go with all 805s. Otherwise go with the 804s. For two channel music the 804s are far better than the 805s. However the 804s are about $900 more per pair the the 805s+stands. You would probably be better off getting all 805s and putting the extra $900 into better front end processing IMHO.

Derrick G.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    what would be the least expensive solution for a pre/pro from the following brands: Marantz, Denon, B&K? (i get to buy at cost and these are the only -affordable- brands we can get [​IMG])
    as for a temporary solution, would i "hurt" the speakers at all by using the Denon for awhile (aka ~1 year)?

5. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

You're not going to hurt the speakers using a Denon or Onkyo as a temporary pre/pro. You just won't get the full benefit of these incredible speakers.

6. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Would you mind sharing what cost is on the 805, Thomas?

7. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Berg, I recall Bjorn doesn't carry any descent brands of stereo/HT pre/pro's and that's why I haven't bought anything from them for over two years since I've been working pretty much on my stereo side of things. If you want get an amp for the B&W's to use the preamp outs of your receiver for now then shop for a used stereo (how 'bout some tubes here) or HT (Lexicon, Rotel, Adcom, etc.) pre/pro's later.

PF

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    thanks guys that's exactly the info i needed. i'll let you know what i think of the Denon/80_ setup when i get to my purchase date.

Mark Austin: i dont know if i'm allowed to let that info out, as Oade Bros often dont let people advertise their super-low prices. if i do get the nod from someone then i'll disclose my purchase price. until then, i dont want to risk losing my opportunity to buy at cost!!

9. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Mark, I am no dealer but been around long enough to expect ~100% MSRP mark up on speakers of the B&W level.

PF

10. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

I would have to agree with everybody else... the 80x's are beautiful speakers that I wish I had w/ a nice pre/pro set up. I was ready to go w/ rotel + 805's but then I snapped out of it and went with Denon 4802 + CDM 9NT + CDM CNT + CDM SNT and had money left over for my mortgage.

After all my listening tests I can say that if I didn't know better I'd say the 3802 did ok with the 804s, but then I heard the 804s on the rotel setup and it was night and day.

11. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    right now i'm thinking this: (although it changes hourly [​IMG])
    two pair 805's + center
    Outlaw 950
    Marantz 5-channel amp or maybe monoblocks? suggestions?
    will the Outlaw + Marantz amp combo be the kind of stuff i need? or will i have to try and mortgage my dorm room? [​IMG]

12. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Dang, you're living in a dorm and can afford B&W?? Cripes, school must be cheaper than I remember it being [​IMG]
    --Steve

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    thank you parents for covering all school-related expenses!! [​IMG]
    now to convince them that HT is one of those...

14. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    will the Outlaw/Marantz combo suit the four 805's + HTM2? are they a good enough match to the Nautlius line? would monoblocks be suitable amps for the remaining two channels?

15. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Thomas:

I think you would be fine with the Outlaw/Marantz combo. I'd advise steering clear of the monoamps, however, in favor of the multi-channel. The Marantz multi-channel should provide enough power to make your new speakers sing.

16. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    thank you

17. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Thomas, please don't let anyone scratch or otherwise damage the Nautilus 80* when you put them in your dorm room! It would break my heart. In fact, you may want to hire a bodyguard...

18. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    oh dont worry. i'm already anal about my JBL NSP-1's and dont let people mill around in my room. security is tight in and around my room as i generally dont let people (esp drunk idiots) walk around inside the room. i've decided on four 805's and the HTM2 and am wondering if i'm gonna try to wall mount the 805's or just be really careful with them on their stands. suggestions?

19. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

Hmm, when I was living in a dorm room they had cinderblock walls that would have been extremely difficult to work with. I'm not sure what to tell you on this one. If you use stands, it would give you more flexibility to move them around/adjust the inward tilt to image them correctly. It would require a little more care to make sure they stay on the stands and don't get knocked around. I would imagine the stands are pretty solid and stable, though.

Whatever you decide, I'd look forward to your thoughts on these speakers once they're in place and functioning in your system.