B&W 804 vs 805+Sub ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew_Ba, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Matthew_Ba

Matthew_Ba Extra

I am in the process of listening to a bunch of speakers to upgrade my home theater/music equipment.

My wife and I listened to the CDM7NT and the Nautilus 805. We (I just love it that my wife can now really hear the differences in speakers and offers her opinion) found that we preferred the mid/high end of the 805 to the CDM7NTs. What was missing was some bass. As we turned them up they did get much better but.... (there was no sub with either listen test)

Now, if I mate a sub with the 805 does anyone think it will blend well enough that I will not feel the need to spend the extra $1500 on the 804 ? I am going to listen to it anyway but I am just curious what people's impressions have been in the past.

Music is things like Sting, Peter Gabriel, Harry Connick Jr, Dave Matthews, Dixie Chicks, etc.

2. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

you need the sub for the cdm 7 also. they both cant reach that low anyway.
    is the 805 that brighter than the 7nt?

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

If I could fit 804s in my room, I would use them even though I love my 805s with SVS 20-39PC.

I would still use a sub with the 804s, though. Especially if the system is intended for any appreciable amount of HT use.

4. Leon Shing

Leon Shing Extra

I have the 804's, and in small to medium room, (my room is 10x16) it has plenty of bass. but if you have a larger room or watch alot of movies, I suggest a sub to go along with it.

5. Bob Saylor

Bob Saylor Stunt Coordinator

I've been thinking strongly to upgrade my 602s to 805s. I presently use four 602s and a CC6 center with a pair of 20-39i subs.
    I gave the 804s a lot of thought but I had the same feelings with using the 602s over the 604s a few years ago. I found using the 602s with a sub worked great and left me missing little. Without a sub I probably have gone for the 604 setup.
    I also felt that the 602 worked better in a smaller room. My room is 11 1/2 x 15.
    The same feelings go toward the 805s with a sub over the 804s. I suppose I'd have to A/B the two again but I don't think you'd be missing out on much.
    Another Idea I had was to go with Diva 2.1s. I could get five 2.1s and a center for a lot less than two 805s and a HTM2 center. I love my B&Ws though and can't believe the 2.1s would sound as good as the 805s. [​IMG]

6. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

7. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Good point. The footprint is essentially the same. In my case that doesn't help though, since I also have to contend with a large piece of furniture in a smallish room, and the standmounted speaker sits up and over the end of my sectional, whereas the 804 would be firing directly into it. (see illustration)
    Thanks for pointing that out, though. It's probably helpful information to the majority of users.

8. Matthew_Ba

Matthew_Ba Extra

I will definitely have a sub for HT use (I already have a sub) its a question of how much the mids would be different since the sub handles the really low freqs and the tweeter should be the same. the problem is of course the 805 is 2-way and the 804 is three way making them sound at least different (not saying one is noticeably better until I hear them)

when I do a final listen I'll fire up a response

9. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I'm an owner of 804s that I use exclusively in a 2-channel setup. I'd say go with the 804s if you were only going to use them in a music system. If HT is also a consideration, go with the 805s and a sub. IMO, you won't miss anything.
    BTW: I use CDM1SEs as my main HT speakers. At one time, I had the 7SEs. I don't think audio quality diminished switching from the floorstanding 7SEs to the 1SEs with a sub. I'm very satisfied with the setup. As long as you go B&W, you'll be happy.[​IMG]

10. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I also own N804's. I find it necessary to use a sub while listening to music. Although YMMV, I thought it should be mentioned that your room acoustics will play a major role in how flat your bass response will be. My room has major suckout areas and that could be why a sub is necessary in my setup. FWIW, I use a Rel Storm III sub crossed at 30 hz with the N804's.
    If you are currently using a receiver, I would suggest going with the N805's and sub. If you have decent separates, the N804's would be the way to go but keep in mind, you will probably still need a sub to complement the N804's anyway, IMO. [​IMG]

11. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Matthew,

Make sure you listen to the Polk LSi line (yes I said Polk).
    They are new hi-end line and are very good for the money. Do a search on this forum for more info. I used to own B&W which are fine speakers and was considering B&W CDM9nt and N804 for an HT. I am more than satisfied with the LSi9 monitors and prefer them to N805 at a fraction of the price. The bass definition is also most impressive in the LSi9.

12. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

That is a great Q, I opted for the CDM7Nt over the 805 since I listen to a lot of SACD and DVD-A without bass management. I am now upgrading to the 804s, the 805s too me would basically be more of a lateral move than a huge step up like the 804s.

imho, if you have the funds get the 804s, if not the 805s are great as well.