What's new

B&W 802's and THX? (1 Viewer)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Need insight:

The new George Lucas recording studio "skywalker Sound" has choosen the prestigious B&W 802's as their reference monitors. Skywalker Sound finalizes the sound tracks employing the THX Digital Mastering program, ensuring that DVD software, laser discs and VHS videotapes provide the best image and sound quality possible through the use of patented THX technology. Since Lucas is the Godfather of THX and pushes the THX logo on anything innanimate...how does a non THX certified speaker fit in the THX model? What is their justification of THX Certified speakers when they don't even use them? Any ideas, comments would be appreciated.

Ron_L

Second Unit
just a fact:

LucasFilm no longer owns THX. THX is owned by a private company.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Well, they might pass THX certification as-is. It's just that B&W hasn't pursued it. It's not really their buyers kind of thing.
Leave that to the M&K crowd, right? :D
(btw, that's me :D )

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Just a side note...talked to B&W regarding this and they stated :"Skywalker Studios is indeed using a set(6)of Nautilus 802's for their studio monitor system. However this speaker is not THX certified, nor am I aware of any plans to incorporate THX certification to any current models in the B&W line at this time. THX certification requires a dispersion characteristic that B&W feels does not enhance the sonic characteristics of our line." ......I guess stay away from THX speakers! I still like the requirements of the Ultra2 specifications on the front end.

Carl Philip

Agent
My opinion is that B&W could be compared to a Ferrari, but you don´t want to put a Skoda (THX) label on it, do you? ;)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I am not saying that THX is good or bad. If I am selling a product and trying to convince the world that they must use my product because it is the only way (THX mantra) then I better be very visible/demonstrative in using "the product" myself. I think the fact that Skywalker Sound does not utilize speakers that are THX Certified speaks volumes and reinforces the growing concensus that THX is not a good thing when it comes to speakers. A very strange marketing blunder....I think.

Here is the THX response:

Skysound uses many different THX certified speakers from the THX Home and THX pm3 (studio) programs. Genelec, Mackie, JBL, M&K, Pioneer TAD and Dynaudio to name a few. The music recording group also has a large inventory of non THX Certified speakers for use by engineers and producers who want to use a particular model which including the B&Ws which are indeed very fine speakers. It's quite common for companies to give speakers away to high profile recording venues so they can brag about who's using them particularly in the professional speaker world.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
One of the main specifications of THX is the limited vertical directivity. Note that this is less of an issue in a proper control room, such as the one shown above.

I an untreated home theater, it becomes more of an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks